Country Specific Products

What if we could only buy some products from specific countries. Tanks from Germany? Big Guns from Russia? High tech from Japan? etc.

If you fall out of favor with a country or if Aliens take it over, then you would lose the ability to get those items (as well as some funding).

Maybe if the aliens capture Japan we get to fight tentacle monsters on the battlefield? :rolleyes:

Nononono. Don't even joke about that! Didn't you hear what happened to tentacle bento? Insert Credit and Kotaku did some really harsh articles that led to kickstarter canceling their project.

Not really sure what I feel about Kickstarter censoring projects like that.

Edited by Gorlom

Nononono. Don't even joke about that! Didn't you hear what happened to tentacle bento? Insert Credit and Kotaku did some really harsh articles that led to kickstarter canceling their project.

Not really sure what I feel about Kickstarter censoring projects like that.

*Insert rant about misinformed twats ruining other peoples fun right here.*

with a bit of fiddly micromanagement:-

Each piece of basic equipment comes from a funding nation. Fine, especially if you're adding things like Warsaw Pact weaponry. As above, if you lose the funding, you lose the kit. (Leaving aside the probability that you'd get the remaining guys to do knock offs)

As noted, this will go by the beginnings of laser manufacture. So:-

Each piece of advanced gear is also allocated to a specific workshop/ region up to a maximum capacity in the workshop. i.e. the workshop only has enough space to be tooled up for X number of projects. You can't just magically create everything in every base. So once again, the score of the funding nation would influence certain variables such as manufacturing time and cost would be altered. (quite a pain if it was for a key bit of equipment) Retooling workshops would have to be an option.

Another option would have been to have external workshops funding by the funding nation. Again, they are linked to funding nation score, and if you lose the nation it's bye bye workshop. Could be extended to radar also.

Pros

- nice bit of resource management.

- a very good incentive to keep the funding nations happy bunnies

- I don't think it's really terribly fiddly in game play. Most of this would run in the background.

Cons

- Usual caveat of effort at this stage of development, moon on a stick wishes etc etc

I can't imagine why my rushed, off the top of my head post could possibly have any logical flaws :)

As you pointed out, the funding nations pulling the plug on basic technologies will be pretty much redundant to Xenonauts, as it begins to produce it's own tech.

The part following the commencement of laser production was an attempt to still give the funding nations that importance. I was starting to go down the road of certain tech from certain bases, but pulled back from it. Instead I'm suggesting that the plant for each technology unlock is centred in a particular base. Sort of like a car plant.

Local issues will affect variables such as cost and time. These variables are connected to the funding nation's score.

Should a base be lost, then the workshop of another base will have to be retooled (with appropriate costs).

If you only have one base, then you will only be able to allocate a certain number of topics to a single workshop before you have to retool it. You can always build another workshop instead. However, multiple bases is probably the way to go.

Hopefully that helps the OP's idea push into the mid and late game stages.

What products would you suggest?

Most of the human tech in the game would be obsolete fairly rapidly so how would you keep this feature effective through the rest of the game?

Some products are needed for much longer throughout the game like plane fuel, medi-kits, base supplies. And why should it be that all tech is made obsolete. Maybe some earth technology should always remain better. Surely we progressed in some things more than the aliens? Maybe explosives or HE / Fire rocket launchers? Those things would then always be needed.

Also, to prevent getting stuck, if one country stops selling you something, you can still buy it on the market but at a higher price (same demand, lower supply). Some tech would be more exclusive and would require highly inflated black market prices to procure.

Edited by PyRoT