Couple early-game feedback items

- Feels like weapons got *too* inaccurate in one specific way: The 'spray' on a miss. I think the current percentages are good; but for example, I had a sniper take a snap shot at ... roughly 12 squares, 31% chance to hit. The angle of the miss was something like 30 degrees off target. Even with a 'no scope' shot, that seemed excessive; it might actually be OK for a 'from the hip' shot on the automatic weapons though. Perhaps a max deviation for the precision weapons?

- Troops don't seem to gain APS unless they use up their total - or at least, more than the amount you'd reserve for a snap shot. Is this deliberate? As it stands, I don't like the choice being between "overextend" and "don't increase in AP". Ideally you'd get a very modest bonus (1 or maybe 2 AP) early on if you spend most rounds with a snap shot left, and maybe 1-2 more if you used up your AP in several rounds.

Having said that, I think the early game is shaping up great. I love the wider variance in early ground maps.

Xentax you know how spread the shots were in X-com right? haveing every shot be a near miss could be quite annoying down the line, where the wide misses would be less irritating because you know they miss early on and you get the few instances of "oh that was a close one" when the shot lands one square away. I'm not saying it should be this way but it might be worth considering? ;)

Chris had another thread where he explained the mechanics for stat increases. For Action Points it works like this: Soldiers gain 1 AP (2 max per mission) for every 500 AP spent during the mission. So its not about overextending yourself. You can get AP increases while takeing it slow, it just means that you will have to do more turns.

Edited by Gorlom

http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/1561-Current-XP-stat-gain-system

so having them overburdened and running around will get them strong and fast quick. the less you aim will make them aim better. though the slow approach allowing for reaction fire will help them do more reaction fire. a battle resulting in heavy fighting and many people panicking will keep them from panicking in the future. the better your troops get the tougher they get.

the easiest way to game the system currently and get super soldiers is to have a few of them carry as much as they can and run laps in the chinook, while the rest of your troops either spray and pray, or set up ambushes. there are similar things you can do in almost every turn based tactical game out there.

the missing shots thing you talked about is also pretty common, i think it is to give an incentive towards aiming in situations were friendlies are nearby.

The deviation on a miss was lower previously and it basically mean that even a miss could actually hit.

If the missed shot didn't deviate much then it would still pass through the square the enemy was on and do damage.

You could also aim well past the real target and no matter how badly you missed the deviation wouldn't avoid your real target.

the easiest way to game the system currently and get super soldiers is to have a few of them carry as much as they can and run laps in the chinook, while the rest of your troops either spray and pray, or set up ambushes. there are similar things you can do in almost every turn based tactical game out there.

I just make sure they pack as much gear as they can. They seem to be able to carry half their strength in kg. I load them up with medkit, ammo and grenades until they're 1kg above the limit. Wolf armour and lazors are heavy.

Good answer on the stat gain - I'll check out the details.

As for a near-miss at long range - I actually *liked* that about X-Com - it's realistic and dramatic. As for the 'aim way past them so a miss might still hit them' - that's just silly. I know it's unreasonable to expect the game to model bullet drop (and of course that's irrelevant for lasers), but I'd rather see that accounted for directly than make the guns spray excessively.

My thought is to map the deviation at the shooter's position, not the target's (would have thought it's already like this) and to have the deviation be a stat of the weapon. So a precision rifle will have a tight group - at short ranges, yes it really is hard to miss. The precision weapons have (or should have) a high minimum per-shot action cost to reflect their nature. Conversely, beyond an automatic weapon's optimal range a hit is very low probability and significant deviation (and the risk of collateral damage) is to be expected.

Another option is to tie the precision weapon's accuracy to be very good if crouched and little-better-than-assault if standing. But I vaguely recall that already being discussed and dismissed...

As for a near-miss at long range - I actually *liked* that about X-Com - it's realistic and dramatic. As for the 'aim way past them so a miss might still hit them' - that's just silly. I know it's unreasonable to expect the game to model bullet drop (and of course that's irrelevant for lasers), but I'd rather see that accounted for directly than make the guns spray excessively.

Might be silly but it doesn't change the fact that it used to happen.

It was worse on friendly fire, never missed a friendly who was between you and the target, even if you wouldn't normally have stood a chance of hitting the target.

It didn't work well before the spread was increased back closer to its original setting.

Some of the firing mechanisms do need a bit of work.