First Base Layout

My apologies if this was already discussed elsewhere - I did a search and found nothing on the topic, but could have missed something.

One of my pet peeves with UFO was the terrible layout of the first base with regard to defending from invasion. It bothered me enough that I hacked the game to use a layout of my own design. Now, I understand why in UFO you did not get the opportunity to design the layout of your first base: that would be a lot of detail for the first moments of play, and the first-time player would have no idea what layouts would be preferred, or what the tactical considerations even might be. I'm sure similar reasoning applies equally well to Xenonauts, and I never really expected any first-base-layout options when I first heard about this project some time ago.

Nonetheless, I find myself feeling that same niggling dissatisfaction: "All my bases will be well-designed, except my most important one." Now, I still don't expect an in-game method of laying out your first base to be added, but perhaps this might be an easy thing to accomplish with some light modding? I see a 1-day hack which can be enabled from one of the xml files. Is there a zero-cost building hack as well? Put the two together and you can basically tear down and rebuild your first base at the start of the game, then save and quit and disable the cheats.

Or perhaps the layout of the first base can be edited directly somewhere?

I acknowledge this is a minor quibble -- it's just one of those things that bothered me twenty years ago and still applies, so I thought I'd mention it.

On a side note, the new base Layout is better than the old one. i like that the airstrips are consolidated at the edge of the map.

Also, I know we had 3 runways to begin with because of the Mig. But now that we dont have it from the get go, woulnd't it make sense to remove one of the runways, leaving us with just 2 fighters? I tend to send my fighters out in pairs, so the 3rd is kinda superflu... supla... useless.

Edited by BobbyDylan

Ah, ok it has been discussed before -- well, or course it has :D

Obviously multiple, unknown entry points does make this issue null and void, indeed. I do find myself wondering how the aliens get into the base; in UFO the bases were underground, so entry via hangar and access lift made sense. Xenonauts features no access lift, does this mean that the bases are above ground?

If alien access is restricted to specific modules, it does give players a strategic choice. One could make a layout with a long path from the accessible modules (eg hangars) to the command center, as a measure of tactical defense for a small and undergeared defense force. Now, such a layout takes longer to build, so this involves a choice. If the layout of the initial base is instantly customizable, the downside of this choice is removed, which I suppose is something to consider.

I also appreciate that the hangars are more consolidated on the initial base layout. This should make an invasion there less likely to be pure chaos.:D

If the bases are indeed underground, perhaps there is an implicit access lift in some module. Though really that should be the command center: how else is the command center built first? But I'm not sure that surface-level access is specifically needed for a garage or basic stores. Vehicles and stores are flown out and in, presumably, not trucked across the surface.

It does seem implausible that an underground base has no access lift at all, which is why I asked if the bases were in fact underground.

Flying vehicles in would be great, most of them are bigger than the corridors in your base though.

You need to get them from the garage to the aircraft somehow, they probably meet them on the runway your fighters and c-17 transports use.

Hence the need for access to the surface.

perhaps there is an implicit access lift in some module. Though really that should be the command center

If the base falls if you lose the command center, then having the access lift in it would lead to complete disaster. The command center should be the last place to be reached.

It's a good point about how it managed to be built. Clearly thy send a tunnelling team in, build it, then collapse the tunnels behind them when leaving. Some commanders may sacrifice the tunnelling team to the dark gods to protect the command center location, or just for fun, but this is optional.

The next set of facilties requires further tunnelling. Obvious really :-)

I just played a base defence missions on v9.5.1. The aliens were everywhere (not just my hangars!) eek!

Also, @ BobbyDylan

Just wait till your up against two fighters and the new tougher corvette. Two aircraft simply don't have the firepower what with each fighter taking 2 alenium warheads or 1 alenium + 1 sidewinder and the corvette needing at-least 3 alenium warheads and an avalanche.