[X-Division 0.99.33]Game loops/crashes before bullet hits

Charon

Continuation from this post:

12 minutes ago, Charon said:

We are currently investigating the game "freeze on hit" bug, and it could be sound related too.

I have a save game: Special 7.sav , and the bug is reproducable. It always happens in the same way on the last bullethit. It appears it can happen for single bullets as well.

I might be totally wrong here, but it seems like the "hit" sound fades just before the last bullets hits and the last bullet triggers another reaction and the game starts to loop.

The bug is only reprdoucable from this position and from this angle, if you move the soldier and shoot from another angle it cant be reproduced.

This bug seems to be unit specific, as some units have to be proven more reliable to trigger this bug. The things we counted are sebillian medic, harridan soldier, and a policeofficier at the beginning of the game.

Ill try to deactivate the UAS and see if that brings any results, although im unsure how this can be related. Until that im stuck with the most bugged save ever.

Ive just started up the debugger and it seems like the unit is missing a shadow.

[6032] Turn on injury: state != ST_INJURED  =>  turn now.
[6032] Unable to play animation: 
[6032] NONE/shadow_w
[6032] .xml
[6032] NONE/shadow_w
[6032] .xml
[6032] NONE/shadow_w
[6032] .xml

I think its save to assume that you can move that thread to wherever you like @Solver, as this doesnt appear to be a X:CE specific bug.

1 hour ago, Solver said:

Why would a missing shadow cause a problem when the bullet hits though?

I have no clue.

Some facts:

• This bug appears to "wait" until the fireing animations of the shooter has finished, and freezes after the last bullet gets shot, and before the bullet hits ( which you can tell most of the time). So this might be animation related.
  • The bug does not appear if no bullet hits. It only occurs for bullets which would "hit"
  • Only certain angles produces this bug, and only under certain circumstances
  • Its not 100% angle related as all angles can be achieved without causing the bug, but some angles appear to be prone to produce this bug. It could also be that there is something else which causes this in the background.

The most notable features of this are

1. This bug is reproducable 100% of the time, once you find the spot which causes it
  2. You can see the last bullet millimeters away from teh unit for all occurences. Some might be covered up by the environment.

This is as far as i am.

Edited by Charon

Odd points:

If i think about it, this is the first time i ever saved a GC and loaded it, correctly from startup and the main menu. So this problem purely could originate from the fact that i loaded a GC save, which is problematic as i mentioned earlier.

I went to look through the debugger, and oddly enough, although i activated that 50% of damage gets dealt as stun damage, the harridan soldier has a multiplier of "0".

[6032] Damage for unit:
[6032]   damage mul. (1.000000) = ( weapon range (14) / max(weapon range (14), dist. to target (3.162278)) ) * difficult mul. (1.000000) * ai race damage bonus (1.000000)
[6032]   normal damage (33) = weapon damage (35) * random bonus/penalty (0.950000) * damage mul. (1.000000)
[6032]   stun damage (0) = weapon stun damage (0) * random bonus/penalty (0.550000) * damage mul. (1.000000)
[6032]   emp damage (0) = weapon emp damage (0) * random bonus/penalty (0.770000) * damage mul. (1.000000)

Even more oddly there is a different random bonus/penalty for everything. As far as i can discern from past experience, it should be all teh same, for the same bullet. And there is nothing that hints to the damage being converted into 50% stun damage.

... wait a second ... . Could you check if all damage to stun damage gets blocked on crashsites with an andron as the main race ?

I just loaded the save game seconds before i entered teh GC on the geoscape and it looks like this solves most of the problems. At least i can windows tab in and out of the game again, while the other save plainly crashed.

I guess i will just give out a note that it is not recommended to load a GC save anymore, sooner or later. It looks to me like a savegame issue, not loading things correctly although it should.