Base Defense is very lacking on many levels

Ya, I just finally had a base defense mission today. I've had great success with batteries, with even the paltry 2 at my main base destroying like 4 ships over the months that I let get to the base because I wanted to finally try a base defense! Finally a transport made it through. I was however very disappointed on a many levels with the base defense mission.

1. The defense batteries did NOT reduce the alien numbers in the carrier at all, even though the 1 hit from a plasma battery reduced the ship to 41%. I ended up with 19 aliens killed which seemed suspicious since the most aliens I'd encountered up till then was 24 I think, in the base with the commander. Didn't seem like there could have been much reduction for 60% health loss of ship. I reloaded and did it over till the batteries scored 0 hits at all. Same 19 aliens at 100% ship health as at 41%.

2. What is up with the soldier equipping right before base defense? I had my Shrike crew in base, and assumed they at least would be the defenders, right? Wrongo. Of the 10 shrike team and 16 other team members in the base, I didn't get to choose who fought. Apparently the computer picks what, top 16 highest ranking team members? You need to TELL people that during the mission briefing. Luckily I wasn't on ironman or I would've lose half my senior team members. That first time over half the people that showed up didn't even have armor because I thought only the shrike crew was going to fight, and apparently about 4 of them were too low-ranked or somehow didn't get selected. Most had M16s, and 3 had shields and no guns! I would have lost if the 3 alien entry points didn't happen to randomly spawn in the same 3 adjacent rooms in one corner, which allowed my heavy plasma predator gunner to mop up decently. Why on earth do you not give the player a hint as to what's about to happen? "Your top 16 ranked xenonauts [or however it chooses] will fight this battle and you don't get to choose, equip appropriately". Is that so hard? To let the player know which soldiers are going to get to fight? Because it's not obvious.

3. Wouldn't it be logical for the player to get cameras on the base, like after the first 20 turns of a terror mission? I realize you don't want to make it too easy, but it's pretty illogical that somehow I have eyes everywhere in peoples houses and offices after 20 turns, but not in my own friggin base? At least give some flavor text "the aliens have haxed your cameras, you'll have to do it the old-fashioned way!"

4. Despite all these things that *should* have been mentioned and weren't, one thing that *was* mentioned - too much damage to the base will result in structures being unusable - doesn't even happen near as I can tell. One of my quantum labs got absolutely mauled, but I couldn't see any difference. Does like, every single piece of scenery have to be reduced to rubble? To judge from other posts I've seen this is a well known non-event. But it was disappointing and you may as well remove the warning text if it's not true.

5. I can't close my own doors in my own base? Really? REALLY? At this rate I'd rather fight the aliens in their own ships and bases.

I can deal with most of that, but the soldier selection thing is unforgiveable. It makes no sense and flies in the face of everything the player has encountered up to that point. I'm still not sure if it selects them by rank order, or some other weird priority. Is this really how base defense is going to remain?

Your prime opportunity to comment on this was (looking at your join date) when you joined the forums in 2013 while the game was still in development. It's unlikely any further changes will be made now by the GH team - they're working on Pathfinders. The Community Coders (which are composed at the moment of llunak) may implement some changes, but you'd have to convince them of the value of doing so.

I just joined at that time, browsed around a bit once in a blue moon. Never did any game testing. Didn't get the game till December '14. I'm aware the game is supposed to be 'nailed down' at this point. But I was pretty surprised a forum search didn't turn up any other topics on this. Compared to the rest of the game, base defense is very unpolished. Apparently hardly anybody played it? Or it was unusual to have more than 16 guys total in one's base? I was kind of hoping maybe I missed something about the soldier equipping and someone would tell me what I missed. Some of this stuff, including the extremely critical soldier equipping, would be improved by simply changing some text to explain the situation better, which couldn't take more than a couple minutes to do, so it surprises me it's still in the state it's in.

Throughout development base assaults just haven't happened. It's reasonably easy to get through the whole game without experiencing one base assault and I am as guilty as anyone of that. That's because base assault missions are at a maximum one per wave and the odds were/are stacked against a capital ship getting assigned a base assault mission. So you have a situation where very few people were making any noise about base assaults and fewer still noticed or reported any problems on the scale you have. Because there wasn't any noise, base assaults got the greenlight.

Wouldn't it be logical for the player to get cameras on the base, like after the first 20 turns of a terror mission? I realize you don't want to make it too easy, but it's pretty illogical that somehow I have eyes everywhere in peoples houses and offices after 20 turns, but not in my own friggin base? At least give some flavor text "the aliens have haxed your cameras, you'll have to do it the old-fashioned way!"

You can say the same thing about alien bases and UFOs. Shouldn't the aliens be able to see everything within? I don't know if it is possible or not, or if it will make the game too hard, but:

Someone should mod the game so that the aliens know all Xenonaut positions!

You can say the same thing about alien bases and UFOs. Shouldn't the aliens be able to see everything within? I don't know if it is possible or not, or if it will make the game too hard, but:

Someone should mod the game so that the aliens know all Xenonaut positions!

I am not fan of the XCOM EU.. but the base assault at enemy within was perfect scenario which should be a movie!! so imagine u got an emp bomb exploded before assault begin..

I have all the same complaints as the OP (especially irked by inaccurate tips - I hate it when games lie to me.) Nowadays, I will load and pull interceptors from Terror missions to prevent a base attack. If I can't stop it (i.e. if it ever happens in Blue Crimson), I will fire scientists and engineers from other bases and transfer the soldiers I don't want in the fight out. This is essential because a chock of sixteen will CTD the game in the deployment phase every time (I wish I knew why.)

(Normal UFO breech procedure: First turn - open door, damage and suppress as many hostiles as possible, close door. Second turn - repeat if necessary, always making sure to end the turn with the door(s) closed. Final turn - rush in with shield/pistol and shotgun troops to get the last few.)

I can't close the doors in my own base when my soldiers lives are depending on it??? How does it work on a normal day then?????