I'm blocked, but alien instant killed me!?

It has something to do with the game mechanics and how the game calculates firing lines, this is something that is a flaw in the game engine. It's known about, but there isn't much the developers can do to fix it. You just have to assume that aliens can fire at you even if you can't fire back.

LoF isn't symmetrical. The game traces LoF from the best part of the shooter's tile to the centre of the target which can allow for situations like you show in the pictures above.

Ah that explains why it felt wrong. Thank you

It has something to do with the game mechanics and how the game calculates firing lines, this is something that is a flaw in the game engine. It's known about, but there isn't much the developers can do to fix it. You just have to assume that aliens can fire at you even if you can't fire back.

Ah then it makes sense, kinda. Guess this is something I have to live with. Not that hard since the game is excellent from most points in my opinion. Thanks

It was at least partly intentional as a response to people who complained that not being able to fire around cover to hit enemies was unrealistic.

It was originally a much more linear firing line from centre of attacker tile to centre of target tile but the new system was supposed to simulate leaning out of cover to fire. In all fairness it does sort of accomplish that but the unit sprites just don't convey what is happening very well. If that alien had leant to one side and fired off a shot before leaning back behind the protection of the crate you would likely have understood instantly how the shot had been made.

While there do seem to be some errors with LoF occasionally, this isn't one of them. It's an intentional design feature.

EDIT: ninja'd

Obviously, in that picture the alien was blocked to you but you were not blocked for him. If you wanted to 'unblock' the alien, you would need to move several steps aside, while the alien (being so close to his cover) would need to move/lean just a bit to 'uncover' you. Of course, it's a game not like in reality. Think about it: the gameworld consist of 'tiles', not 'points/spots'. Where is the alien standing on his tile? In the center? in one od the corners? How about you and your tile? Must the whole tile be visible or a part of it?

My suggestion: never rely on tile's corners for good cover. I know, we all want to have a drop on an unsuspecting enemy from behind our cover, but it gets you killed. The alien have ALWAYS 100% knowledge about their chances to hit, while you can only assume 'I think I'm safe here, right?'.

Same old story as with other similar games (Like Jagged Alliance 2 where you could get smoked even if lying prone behind 2 thick trees) or Far Cry2 (a FPS) where cover was a thing of pure black magic.

It would be interesting if we could click on the alien and see HIS LOS.

Edited by BULIGO

The most annoying point for a LoF error to occur is when you are entering a downed scout. Had a sebellian officer shoot through 2 walls and kill my major (he was my original sg.) standing far away and diagonal from the entrance. I spent ~200 TUs trying to find an angle to shoot back and I'd either hit 1 wall or the other on that first corridor.

I don't mind that every alien is an elite sniper, or can take 120 damage and heal back 60 the next turn. You can plan around those and use tactics to severely minimize the risks. It is frustrating as a player when the ai gets to take impossible shots (the officer fired 2 and both hit since my major was in Jackal armor) that negate carefully thought out tactical positioning though.

Note: I was using Community Edition mod though, so it's possible something in there messed with the LoF code and the base game isn't to blame at all. I never had an issue with LoF in vanilla, but if other people have it might just be a bug that occurs every once in a while.

Okay this is really fucking annyoing.

One fucking ELITE (was a regular alien) TOOK out 4 of my guys from a diagional window. NONE of us could shoot at him, he was 50% blocked. But that didn't stop him from killing 4 of my guys.

The line of sight is really getting beyond stupid.

BULIGO is spot on, would be really good if we could click to see LOS

Sorry for swearing, but i've been playing for hours, finally making progress, only to have 90% of my squad getting wiped from pure bullshit or it seems like it.

Another situation, was in an alien base where 6 of my ELITE troopers MISSED every shot at close combat, yet the alien INSTANT killed 3 of them. Is there some sort of random "let's fuck with the player just for the fun of it-rng"?

This is on normal... ironman... i'm an old xcom player on superhuman....