The only thing lacking is tone setting.

For me replayability is way more important than flashy intros. I`ve seen games that spend thousands on CGI amazing intros, but give a lack lustre game (probably cos they spent most of their time, and especially money, on the intro).

In fact, I see it as a good sign when a game pops up with no flashy intros- Usually means you`ve got a good indepth game to get your teeth into.

I dont find it abig deal , but i would kinda agree with op. Putting just before you start a new game a short summary of the story, maybe even same as wikipedia, or make it more like an offical order from authorities to take control of the Xenonauts project, with some pics, shouldnt be to big a drain on resources and would imho be nice. You really cant expect poeple to read a short story that they have to download frome smwhere else before they play a game.

All in all Xenonauts mood is strong enough it gets to you quickly, even without this.