Cover system...

Can someone explain it to me? I was able to understand pretty much every other game mechanic, but not this one.

How do I know how good I'm protected by this brick fence? Example:

1) I park my soldier behind a brick fence (half - human height).

2) I aim at alien, who is sitting behind tiny bush.

3) What I see is: fence doesn't block my shot (thankfully), but that tiny bush alien is sitting behind has chance of blocking my shot between 36 and 46%

4) I shoot, and hit the bush (bush totally stops sniper rifle bullet, alien is unscratched)

5) Alien shoots, and snipes my guy.

Can I draw the conclusion, that tiny bush, which I didn't even consider a cover element BEFORE I aimed at alien is better cover than solid brick wall? I somehow doubt it. Most probably I got xcomed. Again.

No, seriously, is there any way to know how good your position will be (both aim - and protection - wise) BEFORE you send some cannon foddler to recon it, only to notice that alien changed position next turn and I have to re-calculate?

Do I have to literally memorize every prop in battlescape and it's size/block ratio/shooting angles?

IMO we should get an UI element, telling us at least SOMETHING about our environment. Some way to show, from which angles a shot will be blocked and how good/bad this piece of cover is. Even simplistic XCOM2012 "half-shield or shield" mechanic would suffice - everithing with block ratio below 40% would be half shield, everything above - full shield. Maybe it could be improved y some kind of terrain grid overlay, I don't know.

All of this could be disabled at higher difficulties, ofc.

Please share your thoughts and tell me, how do you tell if some piece of cover is better than other.

P.S

Shields are whole other story. Sometimes they rock, sometimes somehow manage to pass frontal shots, despite having 100% frontal block ratio. Could use some explanation of them as well.

P.P.S

Wiki info on cover system is abysmal, I checked that.

TL:DR

There is no way to know how good your cover will be protection- and aim-wise, BEFORE you send someone to take a look OR you memorize every single battlescape's objects stats, while in reality you could draw some conclusions on cover reliability just by looking at it. IMO, we need an UI upgrade to tell player about cover efficiency.

Actually it seems to use the greatest % cover object between you and the target. If you look at a free fire shot over several objects, it will list each one separately, but all but the highest are faded. Only the highest one is in red, and shows the actual block%

Any prop that you are standing beside (with a few exceptions I've found) will be ignored when firing. This is because you can adjust your line of fire to avoid it completely by your steady position.

Wiki info on cover system is abysmal, I checked that.

The wiki has a lot of the behind the scenes stuff from earlier versions but not much from later as it was never updated.

Although this also depends on which wiki you looked at.

http://xenonauts.wikia.com/wiki/Xenonauts_Wiki

or

http://xenowiki.goldhawkinteractive.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

The first one is prettier, the second one has more useful information for me.