New Early Game Ballistic Weapons Mod

Ragnarok

So, im developing a mod for my own that i plan to release in the near future.

This mod aims to add stock human weapons to the early game. Im Kind of unsatisfied with the stock rooster of handgun, shotgun, rifle, machinegun.

So what im looking for are suggestions on which weapons to add.

This weapon should be from the early to mid 80s and could be "prototype" guns of guns developed in this era.

Also, they should add something new to the early game. I dont want 5 iterations of Rifles that are basicly the same.

Ideally i would want Xenonauts to look like Special Forces / Ops early game.

I dont see any reason a SPECIAL FORCE would use a friggin Shotgun to assault an UFO, thats really unbelieveable in my eyes.

So far, i have added 2 guns.

#1 Magnum - Desert Eagle Mark I

This gun is good in killing Sebs and Caes, 2 Hits usually do the Job, maybe 3 vs Sebs.

I think this gun is pretty cool gameplay wise. I love to use it in conjuction with a shield. Plus it has this really nice Desert Eagle Sound...anyways, it's fun and it's balanced so far (im loses ist power once you Encounter Androns though).

#2 H&K - Mp5

This one is a nice gun. It comes in in between a rifle and a shotgun. It works really well for Close Quarters Combat, and occasionally it can be used at longer distances with a single shot mode. As most ballistics, it loses use once u begin to Encounter Androns (due to their kinetic resistance).

Id would like to hear some suggestions on which weapons i could add as well. Perhaps a light Machinegun, or a really heavy Machinegun of that era (or prototyped).

One gun im certain i will add is the FN P90, to replace the Mp5 with better armor Penetration.

Thanks

Where would your suggestions fit in ?

The FN 2000 as another step in between the mp5/p90 and a "heavier" assault rifle or an assault rifle replacement ?

FN Fal: Why ? it's similar to the m4, i wouldnt consider it being an upgrade tbh.

M249: Heavier MG ?

MP5 is a nice touch. Consider it is a sub-machine gun: Weak, short range, but lighter and cost less TU to fire.

Desert Eagle is a Heavy pistol: Heavy, shorter range but very powerful and cost slightly more TUS than standard pistol.

Beretta AS70 LMG, cost less TUS to fire (around the same as the current sniper rifle), so you can fire 2 bursts per turn, 5 bullets each. Sligtly less powerful than in-game MG. Burst shot only.

But I don't think xenonauts should use guns from the 1980s, late 1970s guns fit better, considering they use M60, Winchester 1300,..

Check this out:

http://www.militaryfactory.com/smallarms/index.asp or http://www.militaryfactory.com/smallarms/guns-1970-1979.asp

Edited by greatergood45

Hey Ragnarok, I've got a suggestion. Think about the _results_ that you want from the included weapons, and go from there. I don't mean visual, I mean mechanical. If you want visual diversity, make these additional weapons have the same stats as the stock weapons of their class (rifle, sniper, handgun, machine, rocket, etc). If you want a shorter range / higher damage / lower accuracy, pick the appropriate weapon image and balance it's stats relative to others. Do you want high damage single shot weapons with a hefty reload penalty? If so, examine how that should compare to the rocket launcher / shotgun / machinegun. I know it sounds a bit silly, "Of course a 0.44 magnum is different than a rocket launcher!" but you have to think about it in terms of mechanics if you want your mod to be balanced and provide tactical options, rather than just making the game easier.

This assumes you care about balance. If not, just forget I ever typed that! And good luck!

I think you should add AK-74 as starting weapon: shorter range and less accurate than current M16, but more powerful. AK-74 is at the middle of shotgun and assault rifle, so it would be more reliable for assault class.

SPAS is a good choice for alternating standard Winchester 1300 in the game. SPAS shoot more rapidly (cost less TU), but weaker than the starting shotgun.

In short: Winchester -> SPAS -> AK-74 -> M-16

Balance is the NUMBER 1 Goal.

I tried Assymetric Weapon Mod but i dont like it too much. It's unbalanced and i dont see it adding Options. It mostly kills Options.

Desert Eagle is in and fits a hole in between Handgun and Shotgun while it offers a bit of diversity to the early game shield.

Mp5 is in. Ist between shotgun and rifle and is great at CC so far.

P90 will be in and will replace the mp5k against armored Targets, something like the mp5 pendant for the time you have Laser weapons. In theory i could do a submachine-gun laser tech gun, but i like the p90 in real life :D

Against, #1 Goal is BALANCE, #2 Goal is Diversity, #3 is fun.

This mod is NOT going to make the game a pussy walk. Difficulty Level should be the same (so far, in my games, it is).

Barret M82 and Striker Auto-Shotgun are probably a GO.

EDIT: Hindsight is 10/10. PN90 cant get in, it was designed in 1986 and began production in 1990, pretty hard to get a prototype in 1979...

Edited by Ragnarok

Fn 2000 as final step in Assault Rifles and the FAL is not similar to the M4 to the M16/AK47/AK74 yes.

and why the fascination with M4/M16 and AK47 the FAL was better than those rifle just the FAL had 2 downsides heavy muzzle climbing in full automatic,and it was rather heavy.

the m249 as machinegun its so versatile that it is used in different roles in different army's.

regards