Just started. When I build new bases do I need a drop ship and squad in each base?

You can put whatever you want in your base. If you don't want to run assaults from there, you don't need a dropship. Some soldiers are a good idea for defence though - if aliens decide to attack your base and it has no soldiers, you automatically lose the base.

You don't, and I wouldn't. It's cheaper to rely on base defenses and air power to protect your secondary bases, and you don't get enough money from ground missions to justify maintaining and equipping a second team. Solver does make a good point about keeping *some* soldiers at your other bases, though.

I made the mistake of equipping 3 full teams at 3 seperate bases, and let me tell you, it takes forever and costs a fortune. It was actually pretty fun since it was a difficult race to keep up, until the gulf between plasma and MAG weapons, but upon finding out that one team in one dropship can go anywhere over the world and your ammo restocks between missions, I felt pretty silly.

A second team has merits you can debate over, but one for each base is too much. Just buy a missile battery or two instead if you're worried about base attacks.

You can put whatever you want in your base. If you don't want to run assaults from there, you don't need a dropship. Some soldiers are a good idea for defence though - if aliens decide to attack your base and it has no soldiers, you automatically lose the base.

You dont automatically lose the base to an alien attack if you have base defenses.

Only if the aliens get past the base defenses would that be the case,

However some soldiers for base defense would be a good idea just in case.