Desparately need X-com style grenade priming

I can't tell you how many times I've wanted to throw a grenade but can't because a suppression or some other thing has reduced my TUs, and the grenade action assumes every step of throwing a grenade and costs lots of TUs.

In X-com, priming was a separate action to throwing and it allowed you to perform a low TU throw when ready. This is the way to go!

You can't decide when a regular grenade explodes, it has around five second fuse. Only thing you can do is keep it in your hand for a second or two longer, but I'd guess that this method is the one implemented in the game.

X-COM priming on regular grenades would look really off, IMO.

Well, pulling the pin does not start the timer. As this game takes place in the '70's , we're talking normal grenades. Then there's the cook-off method which is damn dangerous and probably more than the devs want to handle.

There's always the x-com digital primer for more advanced grenades.

I'm simply talking about the 2 step process of throwing a grenade, without using a cook-off method. Something to allow your low TU troops to still throw a grenade by priming it one turn, throwing it another. There are other advantages too, such as having is primed and ready, then throw it later quickly as opportunity allows.

But priming a grenade would mean that one of the soldier's hands is occupied, and I'm pretty sure it would be hard to implement by modders (devs don't want to add any more features at this point). High-tech grenades with electronic primers would be pretty nice as an addition, though - no argument from me here.

As for the method, I think the cook-off method is already used by default - grenades explode immediately at enemy turn start, without them being able to jump away. Normal throwing (less TUs used, explode at the start of your next turn) would also be extremely useful, especially against the enemies that you either have to kill/supress or force to move.

tl;dr

High tech grenade priming X-COM style is okay by me, choice between 0 and 1 priming on regular grenades is also okay by me.

I remember the original argument about this. It was quite a long one. The sub-forum with the argument in it is gone now, but you won't see EU1994 style priming because Chris was adamantly against the hot potato technique of priming a grenade (or more commonly High-Explosive) then passing it from the rear echelon to the front line.