Sweet sweep only?

Hi,

I'm still fairly new to the game, but from my limited experience plus current discussions, it seems the tactical game mostly revolves around progressing cautiously and killing aliens on defense. If there is no possibility of surprise attack/ambush / counter-attack, then this would be disappointing for me.

This is one of the thing I disliked greatly in XCom Enemy Unknown, the aliens were in groups and roamed only a few squares, but there was no general scramble to swarm you, never. Even if done as rare event or in high difficulty level would be much better than never ever...

Thanks for your input. I still have confidence that this game will be the XCom game to rules them all!

Just last night 4 Sebilians attempted to swarm me. I discovered one, and the other 3 immediately closed in on the alien turn. It was quite the firefight. A general retreat with heavy MG fire and sniper coverage bought me enough time to flank with an assault while my shields drew fire.

It was awesome!

Also if you're near the beginning of the game Sebilians are exceptionally stupid enemies.

It definitely happens. I've had aliens flank me and start hitting me from another direction, I've had them concentrate a larger amount in a smaller area, forcing a retreat. When attacking an alien base, they may choose to pour in additional forces to overwhelm you. And if your base gets attacked, the aliens go on a crazy offense.

That was the biggest dissapointment of firaxis Xcom for me was that the game was just you looking around until you found a small group of aliens then bashing each other until one of you was dead. The most interesting thing that could happen was another alien patrol happening along before you finished beating the first one. Totally lost the tension of the original where the aliens could be anywhere in any number around any corner. Removed a lot of options too, was impossible to catch an alien in the open with his pants down, they would always take cover when you found them.

Xenonauts preserves that tension and has the aliens having much more varied behavior as well. Every time you try to flank a sebilian with a couple shotgunners you have to wonder, 'is he gonna camp it up or charge them?'

Some aliens will definetely camp in the ufo but it SEEMS like aliens outside will reinforce each other or attack you, judging by the fact that i often encounter 5 of the 7 or so aliens i'm going to find outside ufo near the crash site, with more popping up as i kill the first one or two.