Max's Marvellous Flying Circus (UFO mod)

Max_Caine

This works with: v20 Stable

I've found with air combat that each ufo is a simple upgrade on the last - a few more hitpoints, a slightly more damaging gun, but other than that there's very little variety in how each UFO operates, so I've made a few adjustments to make each type of UFO different, and then adjusted the human aircraft in response to make the air combat slightly more challenging to play.

Downloading the mod:

Before I go into the changes I've made, here's the link, if anyone's interested. As always: BACK UP YOUR FILES before installing the mod. The two files changed are aircraftweapons.xml and aircrafts. xml

Also, please note that in general changes made will only take effect on new aircraft, i.e. either aircraft built or UFOs as of a new wave.

Changes

Human

Light missile range increased

Torpedo range decreased below light missile range

Condor: increase in turning speed

Foxtrot: increase in HP

Foxtrot: 4 missile slots rather than 2

Corsair: increase in HP

Corsair: longest range

Corsair: highest speed

Corsair: most acceleration

Corsair: tightest turning circle (Macross level of turning circle)

Corsair: biggest radar

Corsair: best radar detection chance

Maurader: no change

UFO

Light scout: no change

Scout: no change

Fightercraft: no change

Corvette: slightly faster turning speed

Corvette: improved HP

Corvette: 90-degree gun replaced with 360 slow-firing turret

Heavy fighter: Weapons replaced with twin heavy cannons

Bomber: no change

Landingship: improved HP

Landingship: slightly faster turning speed

Landingship: 180-degree beam gun replaced with 240-degree rapid-firing missile launcher

Landing ship: Main beam gun replaced with long-range missile launcher

Cruiser: improved HP

Cruiser: short-range gun replaced with 2 360-degree slow-firing missile launchers

Cruiser: turning circle improved slightly

Strike Cruiser: main gun replaced with 2 narrow angle long-range coilguns

Strike Cruiser: short-range 360 rapid-firing turret replaced with 2 280-degree slow-tracking turrets

Interceptor: no change

Carrier: long-range gun replaced with high-speed rapid-firing missile launcher

Carrier: short-range gun replaced with two 360-degree turrets

Carrier: improved HP

Carrier: slight increase to turning speed

Battleship: 220-degree turret replaced with 360-degree turret that has less ammo and slower projectile speed.

Battleship: 2 240 degree rapid-firing missile launchers added

Battleship: improved HP

----------

Notes for other modders

If you don't set a specific position for a weapon, it will always center the weapon at the middle of the UFO/aircraft. However, when firing a weapon the game doesn't compensate properly for an off-center weapon. The off-center turrets on the larger UFOs sound nasty to start with, but the turrets fire as if they were in the center, so you get n situations where an aircraft can fly straight down the center of two off-center turrets because they will fire right past an aircraft, thinking they are in the center. It was quite cinematic watching a Corsair bear down on a cruiser, turrets blazing and watch the Corsair slip past, but at the same time frustrating. If you mod the UFOs and want to place mutiple turrets, do it at either the front or the back of the ship - they are the points where turrets are more likely to hit other than the center, which is the most accurate and deadliest spot.

Edited by Max_Caine
Changed to make the link stand out more

Nay, for the amount of damage done by these rapid-fire missile launchers are quite small. In general, slow-firing missile launchers do 50+ points of damage, but rapid-firing launchers do a lot less damage, in the 20's to 30's. A Foxtrot has 400HP, so it can survive a barrage of missiles (this has been extensively tested) from large ships and deliver its payload, wrecking the target. Foxtrots are good from the moment they're created up to, and including Cruisers. Foxtrots only have a few hard counters, these being Interceptors, Carriers and Battleships, i.e. the very highest generation of interceptors and the most massive, awe-inspiring and dangerous ships of the alien fleet. Those ships below this tier that have 360 degree weapons can do damage to a Foxtrot, but they won't destroy a Foxtrot.

In addition to which, if you begin behind or to an angle behind a landingship with 2 Foxtrots, while it's turning rate has been improved it will never be able to turn around in time. You can bear down on it with relative impunity and take it out of the sky.

Looks good so far; my only suggestion has to do with teh formatting of the first post: any chance you can make the download link stand out a little better? I didn't notice it when I read through the first time and it took a lot of searching to find it in that intro paragraph.

• 1 month later...