Question: How do I correctly change the soldier rank icon in the ground combat?

GizmoGomez

So, here's my issue.

I replaced the old rank images and renamed them (but left all code besides the strings the same, that's what confuses me), and the new rank insignias showed up correctly with the new rank names in the soldier equip screen, but on the ground combat the rank images were messed up. What's odd is that they showed the correct set of rank images (the ones I had installed and replaced the older ones with) but the insignia was that of the previous rank. So, a captain would be labeled a lieutenant, a lieutenant a sergeant, etc. In the vanilla game there is no such problem, but when I replace a simple image file to another one named the exact same thing it messes up the system.

What's going on here? Can anyone offer advice?

Well, I know that, but what's odd is that when I change them, it messes up the rank images. Here's what happens:

(Each rank is just called rank 1, rank 2, etc for simplicities sake in this example).

Soldier Rank ------ Rank Displayed

Rank 1 ------------ Nothing (no image there, just the portrait without a rank)

Rank 2 ------------ Rank 1

Rank 3 ------------ Nothing

Rank 4 ------------ Rank 2

Rank 5 ------------ Rank 3

Rank 6 ------------ Rank 4

Rank 7 ------------ ??? (presumed Rank 5) (I don't have any soldiers that high ranked in that game).

Rank 8 ------------ ??? (presumed Rank 6)

I have no idea what's going on, as I copied the names exactly.

Yeah, the resolutions were identical, formats were, etc etc. The only thing that I suppose I didn't do was the small versions. I dunno how to shrink the images to the proper size (although I'm sure I can look it up.) I use a 1200X778 resolution, so maybe that counts as Small image territory.

• 4 months later...

Hello, I had the same problem until I figured out that the smaller rankimages in the gui folder had to be named differently than those in the main rankimages folder.

The Name in the gui/rankimages shall not be named after their original names, but instead like you name them in the strings.xml

For example:

you want to change the "sergeant" to Sergeant First Class:

In String.xml you will have:

First Column: rank.sergeant Second Column: Sergeant First Class instead of Sergeant

Files that have to be correctly named:

Geoscape Rank icon:

correct: assets\rankimages\rank.sergeant.png

Ground Combat icon:

incorrect: assets\gui\rankimages\sergeant.png

correct: assets\gui\rankimages\Sergeant First Class.png

Hope you understand what I mean