Xenonauts 2?

I've recently gotten into Xenonauts, and I really enjoy the game (once I got over not being able to rotate the map). But like any gamer, I've started wondering if there will ever be a sequel. One idea I've been kicking around for a Xenonauts 2 is to have a game be a planetary defense simulator in reverse, more like a planetary invasion simulator.

As the commander of an alien (or human?!) armada, you set your sights on a pre-spaceflight world ripe for invasion. Having superior weapons, technology, and tactics, you must try to overpower the local forces to conquer the planet.

But since the armada you're a part of is so massive (and the planet you want to invade is so tiny) you are only given a small portion of the military forces to work with. Using this small force, you have to complete missions to obtain resources and data from the planet and convince your superiors to let you use a larger force and bigger weapons than what you started with.

And over time, the planet's inhabitants will acquire your technology from crashed ships or deceased soldiers, and will start to build up a sizeable resistance, to the point where they will start to rival or exceed the technology you start with, until you are trading blows with the biggest weapons both sides have to offer.

I don't know of any other games that try to do an XCOM style game in reverse, and I think it'd be an interesting thing to see!

Reverse xcom is not so good idea because it won't have any tension about it. You won't have anything to lose. It won't fit the xcom atmosphere. It could be another game yes but won't be any xcom like fraxis xcom 2. It's a game but not xcom either.

Chris don't have a 2. Game project as xcom.

• 1 month later...

... I think it'd be an interesting thing to see! ...

I agree, would love to even see an assymetrical multiplayer mode. Maybe some 6 invader players controlling parts of the "armada" strategically and have control over aliens in ground combat missions in general by whoever is currently available timewise.

Invaders would have a common goal (subdue the planet) vs. several local & indipendent defender organisations that could but not necessarily have to cooperate and would have diplomatic / trade relations. This would makethe game really stand out from all the xcom clones.