my love / HATE relationship with this game

rodein

I am really enjoying this game, but it makes me rage quit so much!!!

I am literally saving the game after every turn to see if there is a different outcome and having to reload the game 4-5 times each turn to get a what I feel is a fair outcome.

My main issue is the mind control. Here is an example: I have 10 soldiers which I have had since the start of the game, I am assaulting a battleship with sentinel armor and MAG rifles and most or my soldiers have 99+ morale, the lowest is 79 and I can guarantee at least 75% of the time when its the alien turn one of the them is under mind control, or berserking. The rest of the time 2 or 3 of them are 'filled with dread'.

If its not the mind control its the other 'randomness', the aliens have no line of sight on my soldiers so how do they know when I am gathering outside a door to breach, they always run through and toss a grenade at the right time how do they always know where my soliders are!? Why do they always have twice the distance of line of sight of my soliders? Why can they fire off burst fire from 25 tiles away and hit most of the time for 80+!?

rant over, I do like this game it just drives me insane :)

My main issue is the mind control. Here is an example: I have 10 soldiers which I have had since the start of the game, I am assaulting a battleship with sentinel armor and MAG rifles and most or my soldiers have 99+ morale, the lowest is 79 and I can guarantee at least 75% of the time when its the alien turn one of the them is under mind control, or berserking. The rest of the time 2 or 3 of them are 'filled with dread'.

I think you're taking this a bit too far. I mean, if that's what you think being fair means then why don't you see any problems with the aliens in the first few months not having any explosive firepower like grenades and rocket launchers and we do? Or alien crafts in the first few months can be 100% autoresolved by a single Condor? The point of the game is that humanity must face and overcome an invasion threat by a far superior alien army. It only makes sense that they can use techniques such as mind control to gain an advantage over you. Now I don't know which version you're playing, but in the experimental version (1.5) of the game, mind control has been nerfed a LOT, which will eventually make it easier for you once it's out.

If its not the mind control its the other 'randomness', the aliens have no line of sight on my soldiers so how do they know when I am gathering outside a door to breach, they always run through and toss a grenade at the right time how do they always know where my soliders are!?

Well you should remember that it's an aircraft. It only makes sense that crew members inside have some sort of situational awareness. I mean, how else would they have been able to operate the craft to begin with?

Why do they always have twice the distance of line of sight of my soliders? Why can they fire off burst fire from 25 tiles away and hit most of the time for 80+!?

Well ... because they're aliens.

• 2 weeks later...

I hate mind control too, and confess to occasionally using save/reload when I get pissed at results. I mean, if aliens have mind control capabilities, why do they bother with weapons at all? They should just sit behind a fortified door and mind control us one by one, and have us kill each other off and/or commit suicide. Nevertheless, the tactic I prefer to deal with it, is to disarm each soldier at the end of each turn. Mind-controlled troops are too stupid to look in their backpack for a weapon. Thus, you can arm the trooper, fire an aimed shot, return the weapon to backpack, and move on to the next soldier. Of course, this means forgoing reaction fire each turn, so I will sometimes play Russian roulette, and keep some of the soldiers armed.

(Note, in the original X-com, the X-Com Utility made it possible to disable mind-control altogether. IMO this made for a much better game!)

Heyho.

I dont encounter often those Mind-Control-Events. Sure i have here and there someone fleeing, sometime (1 out of 10 'events') Berserking. But i think (I play Community Edition) its okay. The fact that they dont sit behind blast-doors and mind-controlling every single Person is that the Aliens dont have so many Psionic-Guys.

I dont have so much rage-quit moments ^^ Glad this is working for me :) What you need, Sir, are Classic-Xenomorphs like me on your side, we gnaw, we spit, we bite, we scratch and we screech! That strikes fear in those pesky Alienhearts :)

Stay crunchy.