Modding Tools - Install New Mod is working?

Sup, guys. The title say it all.

I have saw some cool mods here, but most of them ask for a manual installation. It usually is not a problem, except when you want to use two mods that modify the same files together...

So, what I ask is simple. Isn't the "Install New Mod" on the launcher not working? I wish I could use Destructible UFO Hulls together with XNT Into Darkness, but I dont want to try to do a manual compatibility patch 'cause the chances of me screwing the things up is very high...

Pretty sure the mod tool with the game is broken.

To be honest, it probably wouldn't take that much effort to integrate my mod with TacticalDragon's as the clashes should be relatively minor (aside from all the mapping stuff, which I assume Into Darkness doesn't touch, the changes made by my mod are pretty minor). That doesn't necessary help you right now, but if TacticalDragon wanted to include Hull Breach in a future version or as a variant it'd be easy enough.

Probably not worth it until I've finished Hull Breach, though.

(Alternatively, if you really want to play the two together now, I guess I could write some instructions for what you'd need to do. It would mostly be a copy-paste job of some of the files from my mod into the other).

Yeah, yeah! I imagined that will be something like that about copy-and-paste stuff. I already messed with some games that can be edited that way in a text editor, but most of the times with a tutorial explaining the details. If you post some instructions I would gadly try to put those two mods together, and if you and TacticalDragon dont mind, post here in the forums as a compatibility patch for everyone else who want to try the two mods together.

Right, let's hope this is sufficient:

1) Unpack the Hull Breach mod.

2) Unpack XNT mod.

3) In 'gameconfig.xml', find the following variables and change the existing ones to the ones shown here:

<powerCoresExplodeChance           value="90" comment="The chance that UFO power cores will explode on UFO crash." /> <killCrewOnCrashChance             value="0" comment="The chance for an alien to be killed on UFO crash when power cores don't explode." /> <killCrewOnPowerCoreExplodedChance value="30" comment="The chance for an alien to be killed on UFO crash when power cores explode." />

4) In 'gas_gc.xml', change the existing entry for 'powercoresmoke' to the following:

<GasType name="PowerCoresSmoke">   <Anim name="particles/greysmoke/greysmoke" />   <Props damage="0" stunDamage="0" damageType="chemical" dissipationChance="30" accuracyReduction="20" /> </GasType>

5) In 'items.xml' and 'weapons.xml' there are two lines you need to copy from the hull breach mod to the equivalent XNT file: weapons.explosive.BreachingCharge and weapons.explosive.PlasmaBreachingCharge. You should be able to put these anywhere in the files.

6) In 'strings.xml' there are also some lines for those items, as well as ones with '.desc' at the end. Copy all four of those lines into the equivalent file for XNT.

7) In 'researches.xml', find the plasma explosives tech. In the 'When finished' column, add the following line to the corresponding cell: ReplaceItem("weapon.explosive.C4","weapon.explosive.plasma");

Make sure to include the semi-colon at the end! If XNT doesn't use the vanilla tech tree (I don't know if this is the case or not), see if you can fine an equivalent sounding tech and add the line to that one instead. Otherwise, leave it: the upgraded breaching charge isn't necessary to be able to play the game and it would be better for TD to add it in where he thinks best if he wants to integrate the mod.

8) In 'weapons_gc', there's two entries, again for 'weapon.explosive.BreachingCharge' and 'weapon.explosive.PlasmaBreachingCharge'. Copy these two entries in their entirety and paste them into the equivalent XNT file (anywhere should do).

I *think* that's everything you will need to do to get the two mods working together. I've missed out a few non-essential things like the new Xenopedia page and some changes I'm still unsure about. I make no promises, though, and must confess complete ignorance of TD's mod's file changes.

Hope it works, though. Good luck!

Oh, EDIT! Bear in mind that I'll be updating the hull breach mod some time tomorrow. Might be better to wait until then? Still won't be finished, but it should sort out various issues in the current version and should work up to Landing Ships fine.

EDIT 2: This post seems to have attracted a smiley face from somewhere.

Edited by kabill

I don't actually know, but there's no reason why it shouldn't be. It would be safest not to update while you're mid-mission (I think it should be fine, as all the map data should be saved in the save file, but better safe than sorry!) but other than that I can't think of anything which would be a problem.

Hey Kabill I test Destructible UFO Hulls and is awesome! great job!

That would be easy to integrate, if Kabill give me the permission I'll add Destructible Hulls in the next build.

Thank you Victor Tadeu for your suggestion is always great integrate mods, because changes or impact in the game its greater.

Great job kabill!

Hurrey!

So those mods maybe officially integrated with one another in the next future! You guys are helping to make a great game even greater!

I will try to put them together by myself when kabill release the next version, before the final one, just because I'm impatient, haha!

Hurrey!

So those mods maybe officially integrated with one another in the next future! You guys are helping to make a great game even greater!

I will try to put them together by myself when kabill release the next version, before the final one, just because I'm impatient, haha!

And the new advanced ballistics that comes, that will be great. ;)