Enhancing UFO Crashsites

kabill

There's actually no reason why UFO submaps can't overlap buildings, as they'll overwrite any props (including walls) that they clash with. So it's only really an issue for buildings with several levels, since with single-story UFOs you can end up with fully intact upper floors.

The maps would lack versatility, though: you wouldn't be able to put multiple spawn points on the same map, nor would having multiple kinds of UFO on the same map be a good idea I don't think (due to the size issues Gauddlike mentions).

Thinking about it, it might be easier to have the actual UFO in relatively clear ground like normal, but have a trail of destroyed buildings across the map which it has hit as it's come down. Assuming you could make it look good, anyway, which as Skitso says might not be easy with existing assets.

By unable to overlap I was referring to the same thing you mention.

You couldn't build a damaged building submap and drop the current UFO submap into the middle of it and expect the damaged walls or whatever to come right up to the sides of the UFO.

The spaces around the UFO corresponding to the edges of the UFO submap would remove the damaged items you had placed it over so leaving a gap all around it.

It is more overwriting the submap than overlapping it.

It looks very odd if you do it as well.

The overwritten objects just fail to spawn so no damaged tiles or rubble is displayed, it just looks like the wall the UFO is sitting halfway through never existed.

Of course if you take that into account then you could leave a large enough gap in your damaged building submap but then the open space looks odd unless you design a more specific crashed UFO submap to go with it.

I am not sure it would be worth the hassle to me to try it, especially with the limited damaged tiles skitso mentions.

I just don't think it would look great.

Edited by Gauddlike

Sorry, yes, misunderstood. You would, indeed, have to craft the building specifically for the UFO in question for it to look at all reasonable.

But yeah, possibly more effort than it's worth (though there's a chance I'll try it out anyway, just to see!)