I just read in the V21.1 balance patch thread that the game is set to be around 6 months game time in length, since we start in September I guess that means we can end it roughly in march, and I'm sure like the original we won't have to end it, we can just keep on fighting aliens.

For me personally that's too quick. So I'd like to suggest something from the new "X-Com" (I use that term loosely), and that is Marathon mode. I never used it and to my understanding it's a bugged feature but it supposedly extends the game length by three times. Now that's way too long and making research take three times longer just doesn't sound like fun. However there could be a few balances in place: the invasion now takes a year, research time is the same but more advanced ships with more advanced researchables don't come until later (corvettes appearing in January instead of November/December). I'm fine with the game setting as it is and I'm sure I could probably mod the change I want (probably) but 6 months seems way too quick for me!

The thing is, if you lengthen the time then you lengthen the events. However we have time compression on the Geoscape, so the game isn't going to get any longer. The only difference is what month the game says it is - which matters how?

If you are arguing for some sort of realism, I think an Alien invasion would probably be over in a matter of weeks don't you?

If you are arguing for more UFOs to shoot down then that is a matter of preference and should be readily moddable.

I think that it's better for game to be 6 months long.It does not dragging more then its need to,therefor it doesn't turn off players because of that.Also there is more replayability since most of the players don't get oversaturated with longetivity of game (i certianlly would if it drags for one year).Also why would play at all game for one year,when there isn't many random events that would keep me hyped.

Well, if all you want is the aliens to progress slower, all you have to do is open up gameconfig.xml and change the following from:

<!-- DIFFICULTY MULTIPLIERS --><!-- The values for each are multiplied by these numbers --> <alienTickerSpeedEasy        value="0.75" /> <alienTickerSpeedNormal      value="0.8" /> <alienTickerSpeedVeteran     value="1.0" /> <alienTickerSpeedSuperhuman  value="1.2" />

to:

<!-- DIFFICULTY MULTIPLIERS --><!-- The values for each are multiplied by these numbers --> <alienTickerSpeedEasy        value="0.375" /> <alienTickerSpeedNormal      value="0.4" /> <alienTickerSpeedVeteran     value="0.5" /> <alienTickerSpeedSuperhuman  value="0.6" />

Oh wow that's ridiculously easy to do, thanks Jeon. I'll be able to mess around with the numbers to hopefully find something I like.

I'm not arguing for realism, I personally would just like the game to drag on a little longer. Not everyone shares that view and it's changeable in the game files so I guess there's really no reason for a marathon mode like I suggested :P!