What are the chances.......

Downed UFOs may be minor damaged or severely damaged. I have an impression it is pure chance based, something around 20% for severely damaged. But even then I only saw difference with medium scouts, where power source will be misplaced on severely damaged saucer.

In the OG this depended on how much damage the UFO took before it went down, so maybe it's similar here too. If you hit a Light Scout with 5 Sidewinders at the same time, it will be completely destroyed, so my guess would be that minor/severe damage depends on this as well (with some chance involved perhaps).

In the OG this depended on how much damage the UFO took before it went down, so maybe it's similar here too. If you hit a Light Scout with 5 Sidewinders at the same time, it will be completely destroyed, so my guess would be that minor/severe damage depends on this as well (with some chance involved perhaps).

Makes me wonder how much damage is "overkill". I downed quite a few medium scouts with two fusion torpedoes(each will damage UFO for 90%), and they don't seem to mind. Most had minor damage.

Besides, in OG chances of destroying UFO had nothing to do with state of this UFO in ground combat. To destroy UFO, you had to deal twice UFO hitpoints of damage or more. When ground mission begins, there was a chance for every power source that it will go boom with very wide damage range. So by saving/loading right before the mission you could get all kinds of UFO states, from absolutely intact up to not a single wall standing or even without a single live alien, ending battle right on your first turn.

<!-- OVERKILL / UFO DESTRUCTION HP LIMIT -->

<overkillPercent value="30" comment="If a UFO takes more than this percentage of their HP as damage below 0 HP, it will explode instead of crashlanding." />

From gameconfig.xml.

It doesn't specifically state a level at which a ufo on the ground might be classed as light or severe damage though.

There is a chance of the power core exploding on impact, does't say if it is related to anything else.

<powerCoresExplodeChance value="20" comment="The chance that UFO power cores will explode on UFO crash." />

Maybe it is the other way round?

Maybe a ship is considered severely damaged when the power core is destroyed.

Someone from GH would have to answer that I think.