M79 Grenade Launcher

M79.jpg

The M79 Grenade launcher was developed prior to the vietnam war as a result of project Niblick, an initiative to increase the firepower available to the average infantryman. Although the underslung M203 was developed only a few years later, this is an iconic weapon that would result in both interesting tactical choices and even further squad layouts.

Pros
  • Due to the M79 being an actual weapon rather than an attachment like the M203 would be, bringing it along with any given squad is a question of inventory loadout, and makes for many possible combinations.
  • All grenade types could be added in as 40mm versions for use with the weapon.
  • A good middle-ground between the rocket launcher and conventional weaponry.
  • Does not require an inordinate amount of coding, unlike a launcher such as the M203 would require.

Cons

• Would require new sprites and a little coding.

In my opinion, a weapon such as this would allow quite a lot of interesting tactics both when on the open field and when breaching ufos, while not making me want to equip every soldier with one due to the size of the weapon itself and the specialized ammunition it requires, along with the fact that it is single-shot like the rocket launcher. Additionally, being that this weapon is fairly iconic, I feel that it would add to the cold-war era feeling the game itself provides.

M79.jpg

M79.jpg.2fb26a2569c067c79b2a54815df61c1e

Edited by Denied_Existence