Reaction Fire

I've only ever noticed that if more than one alien was present.

I've also noticed that if the action the xenonaut took changed, such as an alien outside firing at a xenonaut walking by it, then once more when it opened a door. I'm ok with that since opening a door can take as much time (if not more) as running a small distance.

If the alien has the time units= why not. It's not happening 1 tile of movement after another right now anyway. Reaction shots are about all aliens have going for them at this point aside from rudimentary aggression.

Not sure about aliens but your soldiers can take more that one reaction shot at single alien. Easiest way to test is with a soldier equipped with pistol and full TU's remaining. You get one chance of taking a shot per reaction triggering action. Best result I got was 4 reaction shots against one alien.

So I'm trying to figure out how reaction fire works for aliens. Because they hit me with it all the goddamned time. If I have four guys set up around a corner and a guy walks around it, all four my guys will shoot, and all miss (this literally happened last night). I seriously hit like 1 out of 25 reaction shots, no matter what I have it set to.

I just got hit by three in a row right out the helo.

So....WTF?

Edited by Ishantil

This is my thought process that I've learned from experience:

Know aliens are around the corner? Flashbang.

Not sure if aliens are around the corner? Flashbang.

Pretty sure aliens aren't around the corner? Don't flashbang, then be surprised when you get reaction-fired to death despite your best intentions.

4 FB/Shock 'nades and 4 smoke on every soldier is how I roll. I rarely use them all, but when I am in a desperate situation I've never regretted having them.

As for leaving the dropship and getting insta-gibbed? That's Xenonauts, baby! I got 3 members killed in first contact in an andron base because my first soldier's turn triggered wild reaction fire. I should have dropped smoke, apparently.

So I'm trying to figure out how reaction fire works for aliens. Because they hit me with it all the goddamned time. If I have four guys set up around a corner and a guy walks around it, all four my guys will shoot, and all miss (this literally happened last night). I seriously hit like 1 out of 25 reaction shots, no matter what I have it set to.

I just got hit by three in a row right out the helo.

So....WTF?

You must be quite unlucky i find that alien miss me more than they hit me with reaction fire.

Sometimes I'm willing to to chalk it up to "That's X-COM, baby!" but...I dunno, there's seems to be a weird consistency from me missing reaction fire shots. And this is an entire group of Captains and Majors. I mean, these guys roll hardcore.

I don't carry flashbangs. They don't do squat.

I have the same luck hitting reaction shots using snap shot tu's as I do with hitting aliens with snap shots= aboot 20% and that's fine. When I have enough tu's set for a burst= same odds as a burst it feels like. No problem IMO from the xeno's perspective.

As for the aliens= they usually miss. If it's a caesan warrior or above= they're pretty accurate shots anyway, but usually don't get hit. Harridan's nail reaction shots but that's the lore, they have great reactions and accuracy= np.

Unless there's something wrong in the code that I'm not noticing in-game, I feel that there isn't an issue. It's just a matter of %'s from shots used and stats.

I don't carry flashbangs. They don't do squat.

I notice they are usually effective early-game, and by the time you meet alien classes that are harder to suppress you should have upgraded to electroshock grenades anyway. I hate Androns, because they're immune to my normal grenade-suppression tactics.

I have never purposely left my units enough TUs to take a reaction shot. I prefer to control the movement of battle instead of hoping an alien will move into the right field of vision and that the Xeno will make the shot. All my reaction shots have come from people that were already in position waiting for squad mates to catch up. Apparently they get so bored they just want to kill something because I have yet to see them miss.

EDIT: I also use mass flash bangs to capture sebillian and caesan non-combatants before I get stun weapons. every little bit of nation rating helps, imo.

Edited by Xintrosi