Grounded UFO's are trolling me

Ok, here is the setup:

I had just downed a scout (crashsite - 12) and a light scout (crashsite - 13) with two sorties of an upgraded (alenium) Condor and Foxtrot each. Dropship is returning from crashsite - 13; I wanted to go to the easternmost site first to avoid night missions, and crashsite - 12 can burn all the forests they want out in the desert ;). My Foxtrots are 90% fueled up at this point, so I send them to take out the two remaining light scouts.

LpPeFXS.jpg

As soon as my fighters approach, the UFOs land. Foxtrots derping around overhead, not firing their missiles on the helpless, stationary craft right below them, run out of fuel and are forced to return home. I figure, "Fine, they just happened to land at the same time my fighters are approaching, it was a random fluke. I have two Condors at home that have just finished refueling. I can at least take out one of them."

The UFOs inevitably lift off and I send out the Condors.

812tgRw.jpg

W. T. F. This is infuriating. I can understand the balancing issues for getting too many missions; I already have another base in America, alenium missiles, wolf armor, 4 fighters, 100k in the bank and yet another treasure trove of goodies out in the desert, I probably don't need two more at this point... but if you aren't going to let me take down the UFOs buzzing around my base stop waving them in my face. Have them retreat to outer space or take evasive maneuvers or something.

Besides, how does it make sense that once you're grounded, you become invincible to *ALL* attacks? I've even sent my dropship to one of the grounded UFO's before and it derped around and headed home too. I've heard a lot about the air combat on the forums, but the worst part for me is definitely the lack of it (ie. when UFOs land to avoid fighting -- both in the air and on the ground). Does anyone else have similar views, or am I alone in this?

I get a bit of success when I send my dropship to a waypoint very near the landing site. By the time I get close, the UFO has already relaunched and gone back to ground again. At which point I just change the target of the Chinook and get a missions*

*except for the time one of them blew up the chinook, hence the use of the waypoint

I get a bit of success when I send my dropship to a waypoint very near the landing site. By the time I get close, the UFO has already relaunched and gone back to ground again. At which point I just change the target of the Chinook and get a missions*

*except for the time one of them blew up the chinook, hence the use of the waypoint

This

Besides, how does it make sense that once you're grounded, you become invincible to *ALL* attacks? I've even sent my dropship to one of the grounded UFO's before and it derped around and headed home too. I've heard a lot about the air combat on the forums, but the worst part for me is definitely the lack of it (ie. when UFOs land to avoid fighting -- both in the air and on the ground). Does anyone else have similar views, or am I alone in this?

Yeah, I'd like the option to have my aircraft blast the snot out of the UFO while it's landed. I'd be happy to take a penalty for this; landed UFOs that get bombed could give half the money in loot that you'd normally get or something.

How did you get a mission with the grounded UFO? I've sent a chinook to a grounded UFO before and the game didn't allow me to start a mission.

Also, as a kind of side note, I would love to be able to land my own chinooks to avoid alien attack ships.

How did you get a mission with the grounded UFO? I've sent a chinook to a grounded UFO before and the game didn't allow me to start a mission.

Also, as a kind of side note, I would love to be able to land my own chinooks to avoid alien attack ships.

Send your chinook out into the world, with the destination being kinda close to the landed UFO but not too close. If the chinook arrives at the waypoint and you think you have time before the UFO will take off, click the chinook, click select new destination, then click the UFO. The chinook should head for the UFO and auto-engage. Just bear in mind that if that UFO takes off just as your chinook gets there, you're up the creek. The UFOs tend to land three or four times before escaping to space, so play it safe.