When it comes to Medkits what I would really like to see is the ability to heal/stabilize downed soldiers/civilians/local forces.

I know the earlier versions of the game still recognized a downed soldier who say had a bleeding condition. Along with that the game mechanics are already in place with the effect that only half of the damage taken can be healed.

take this example.

Soldier or civilian takes enough damage to drop him but by the games mechanics he/she should still have some amount of health that could be healed. There should be some way as in real battle where a medic character could run to that character and use either a medkit or possibly a different item such as a Trauma Kit to stablize the fallen person.

This could then be used with the adjusted rewards that I suggested in one of my other posts :This thread

Characters in the stablized condition would still be down for the fight and at the end of the battle would get the maximum wounded time notation say like 30 days or so But they would not be "Killed in Action"

With Civilians and local forces it would treat them as alive for the purposes for determining mission rewards.

So...

Being wounded affects APs as well as Health

Using Medkit takes all of healers APs for the turn

Receiving treatment takes a % of the wounded soldier's AP (can be as broad as 50% period)

The Medkit can only stabilise existing conditions. It would actually restore anything.

Helps with:

Removes wounded soldier running around like a spring chicken

Removes uncertainty over using the medkit and for how long

Im not sure about how others are looking at this but my concern is with a way to prevent the death of downed units.

be they civilian, local force, or Xenonaut. My part revolves around emergency lifesaving treatment. Thus affecting the game score and perhaps preventing you from permanently losing a beloved and well trained Xenonaut though you will still lose him/her for like a month or so as he/she recovers from near fatal injury.

As for the other parts I don't have too much of an opinion regarding the general Medkit mechanics although I do have this insight to add to the argument of should a Xenonaut be able to self-heal with a medkit. To which I am inclined to answer Yes, to a limited degree. The reason for this is simple a wounded soldier can to a limited degree treat the own wounds in real live.

So to reflect that in the game the simplest answer is to allow self healing with a medkit but make the TU cost be triple what it would to heal someone else. This is both mechanically easier and does not introduce new foreign design elements.