How to create a mod ?

Moxar

Hi,

This is mainly a question to Giovanni, who coded the Mod tool, but should someone else have the answer, please feel free to share it.

So, How do we create a mod ? Is there an architecture to follow ? Is there a prefered dir ? How to install one ?

Xenonauts is a very extendable game - only thing you can't add is new mechanics or functioning rules.

Everything else is possible - new levels, new submaps for them, new tiles, new weapons with whatever stats you want, new airplanes, even new animation sprites (if you have dedication and drawing/modelling skills), new research and manufacturing projects, some parts of interface can be redrawn, even new globe graphics and regions can be defined (not so sure about new tilesets though).

There are tools in launcher for creating maps and submaps, which can also edit tile properties.

About packaging - just copy resources from game, with corresponding folders including "assets" folder itself, mod them (or create new things and place alongside existing things in case of maps/tiles) and then pack it in zip.

Including readme file in mod archive is also universally good practice.

This way archive can be just extracted in game folder and ready to go after replacing some existing files. To be able to uninstall it though you will need to backup files, that mod replace, manually.

Or create a self-extracting archive with command script that will do install-backup-uninstall things for you, if you know how to.

There is mod install tool in launcher, it take your zip and unpack it automatically in "Xenonauts/mods" folder and can easily uninstall it from there. Thing is, whatever i tried, game just does not see your changes this way.

It hasn't been working for a long time, so maybe we should recheck it and re-report as bug again.

Giovanni can comment on this further, i may got some details wrong.

Edited by Lt_Parsons

There is mod install tool in launcher, it take your zip and unpack it automatically in "Xenonauts/mods" folder and can easily uninstall it from there. Thing is, whatever i tried, game just does not see your changes this way.

It hasn't been working for a long time, so maybe we should recheck it and re-report as bug again.

Giovanni can comment on this further, i may got some details wrong.

That's my point. I would like to create a mod (a batch of maps, actualy) which you could install/uninstall without touching anything within the assets directory, to prevent incompatibility or bugs.