Build 17.52 archive question.

djlogue

I noticed on the news page of xeno-doo-daa's it says this;

Our recent work has been getting ready for beta. Our last updates have been big ones for two reasons – pretty much every unit is in the game now, plus we’ve implemented our long-awaited file archiving system. The latter means Desura now should work fine when downloading the game, because we’ve reduced the number of files in the game from about 130,000 to 30,000.

I'm a bit curious as to why I am still clocking 130k. Is this because I am using the standalone version??

Also in the build 17.52 update thread it says that both versions have been squished down to 3.somethingGb and I am still up to over 4Gb?

Am I missing a vital bit of info that explains everything???

The archiving system mentioned there is for the Desura version only. In the past, users had trouble downloading/updating the game due to the large number of files it has, but reducing the files count seems to have solved most of the issues (fingers-crossed!)

However, you can't open those archives with normal archiving tools, because it's an engine specific file format (.pfp if I'm not wrong).

So, if you'd like to mod the game further than just a balancing it, you'd probably need having access to all the files used (including sprites, tiles, and so on), and that's why the standalone version has the uncompressed files.

From the wiki:

Version 17.5 is the first release to compress many of the xml and image files used by the game into larger archives. This is mainly done to reduce the number of files required to be downloaded through Desura for the game to function. As these archives cannot be opened like a normal zip file this may make it more difficult to make minor mods to your game files. This is currently only true of the version downloaded and updated through Desura. Desura provide a standalone download, to owners of the game, which still uses the old system for ease of access to game assets.

Hmmm tempted to give the client version another whirl some time, but when I tried DLing it on saturday night it got to 98% of the install and decided it had had enough and stopped. And I didn't want to spend another 3 hours downloading and installing it while desura attacked my poor little CPU :(