Grenade Self-detonation should be removed

Exhibit A: Deployment gone wrong

Turn 1 see a Sebillian immediately on the left side of the choppah, throw a Flashbang 89% hit chance.

Fumble catastrophically. Everyone on the sides (3 soldiers) gets instantly suppressed.

The other 6 now have to smoke the side, spend another flashbang on the Sebillian and 3 smokes just to cover the guy who went out to flashbang from the main deployment group. This entire Turn and 4 consumables (not including the initial Flashbang) are completely wasted, and that's an easy case with just 2 enemies immediately visible. Had there been more that would probably need 2 smokes extra.

Exhibit B: Self-detonate a 82% Flashbang and suppress 4 soldiers, 3 soldiers on the other side get suppressed by friendly fire from my own Sniper rifles and 2 get killed on the next turn.

I've played Terror from the Deep on Superhuman, and even there you can't fail that badly with the grenades. Only XCOM: EU's rocket launchers come close to catastrophic misfires like that, and even then it's very, very rare. In Xeno 2 that happens often enough to be maddening.

The fix would probably be to disallow grenade spread within the 1st half of its journey.

2 hours ago, ooey said:

Can grenades go off accidently? I never knew that. It would certainly stop me from letting my best men carry them.

They can't go off on their own, he's talking about the grenade "missing" at very close range and getting stuck just under the soldeirs foot because a very close wall blocked it.