Two Brief Suggestions That I Feel Will Make The Game More Enjoyable

1)  Please make it where you can reload a weapon and have just enough AP to fire a snapshot, if you do nothing else that turn.  It is mind-numbingly frustrating how often this drives me up the wall.  Please don't tell me to go to Pistol Mode instead.

2) Also, please, for the sake of my sanity, reduce the cost for maintaining the access elevator(s).  It is freakishly expensive compared to maintenance for everything else in the base.  I don't think most people look at the base expenditures sheet after they get their monthly pay, or I'd expect there to be some gasping & grumbling about this particular expense.

Decades later, and still playing the Xenonauts games.  I love them!  So much that even though I just bought Jagged Alliance 3 on discount, it's sitting unplayed on the backburner while I grind out another Xeno run. 

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, Wyldefyre_CP said:

1)  Please make it where you can reload a weapon and have just enough AP to fire a snapshot, if you do nothing else that turn.  It is mind-numbingly frustrating how often this drives me up the wall.  Please don't tell me to go to Pistol Mode instead.

Then what is the difference between a weapon with a large cartridge clip and a weapon with a small cartridge clip, if the need to reload the weapon does not create a pause in shooting? Wouldn't it be easier then to make an endless supply of ammunition in the weapon so that there would be no pauses in shooting?

• Like 2

The "access lift" upkeep is actually the representation of the core cost for the base itself.  That's why it costs so much.  You can think of it as the cost to maintain the lift, ventilation, surface access entrance ways/buildings, surface security etc.  Then the cost as a comparison makes more sense.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Komandos said:

Then what is the difference between a weapon with a large cartridge clip and a weapon with a small cartridge clip, if the need to reload the weapon does not create a pause in shooting? Wouldn't it be easier then to make an endless supply of ammunition in the weapon so that there would be no pauses in shooting?

I'm not looking for 'no pause in the shooting,' though.  I'm just looking for a tiny reward if I have done absolutely nothing other than reload the weapon that turn, in the form of the most basic and unlikeliest to hit shot chance.  Particularly on things like the super small clip sniper rifles, but even on the five shot rifles and the MG that you suddenly have 2 shots left in and can't use, because you mixed one 10 shot burst in with the 3 shotters.  Heck, you could actually say I'm asking for more punishment this way, as I'm just speeding my way through a new clip as soon as I've slapped it in there, but I'd like that to be my decision to make.  Right now it feels like the game was put through tests to see exactly how many AP you'd need to pull that off and then trimmed back just enough with the % tweaks so that you'd never get there, regardless of how many extra TU's you garnered.  I currently have the option to reload and move some, or reload and shoot a pistol (if I have one equipped) but what I don't have is an option to reload and snap off a shot, or reload and save that snap shot for overwatch.  I'd love to be able to do that.  Unlimited ammo is not desired here.

5 hours ago, Cheostian said:

The "access lift" upkeep is actually the representation of the core cost for the base itself.  That's why it costs so much.  You can think of it as the cost to maintain the lift, ventilation, surface access entrance ways/buildings, surface security etc.  Then the cost as a comparison makes more sense.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I guess that's the way I'll have to look at it, then, if it's going to continue to cost that much, though I'd prefer it got another name in that case.  Perhaps 'Base Maintenance' with a short description tag that includes the cost of maintaining the lift, because at the moment it looks like it costs a great deal more to keep the elevator running than it does to keep the medical bay or all your labs and workshops running.

2 hours ago, Wyldefyre_CP said:

Particularly on things like the super small clip sniper rifles, but even on the five shot rifles and the MG that you suddenly have 2 shots left in and can't use, because you mixed one 10 shot burst in with the 3 shotters.

In reality: machine guns have tapes for 100 rounds, have tapes for 200 rounds, have tapes for 250 rounds. I do not know why in the game the machine gun has a tape for only 30 rounds. Perhaps this is done in order to create additional tactical difficulties for the player, but these are definitely not the difficulties that the player wants to constantly overcome during the battle.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Wyldefyre_CP said:

Thanks for the suggestion.  I guess that's the way I'll have to look at it, then, if it's going to continue to cost that much, though I'd prefer it got another name in that case.  Perhaps 'Base Maintenance' with a short description tag that includes the cost of maintaining the lift, because at the moment it looks like it costs a great deal more to keep the elevator running than it does to keep the medical bay or all your labs and workshops running.

I didn't code this game, but I wouldn't be surprised if each base item is an object (in coding terms) with a bunch of variables and functions in them.  One of the variables is likely something like "monthly upkeep" and when determining the monthly costs to deduct the game likely goes through the list of all built base components (base objects) and lists their description and then the monthly cost.  I am mentioning all this because if they change the object description to "base maintenance" so it shows up nicely on the monthly maintenance deductions, then the item in the base design would likely no longer say "access lift" and instead say "base maintenance" as well. 

To fix this, they may need to add an additional variable to all the objects with the name to be used for monthly maintenance, then change the description variable that maintenance list was referencing as well.  It's definitely doable, but it's not just a simple, change the text in one field and it's done type of solution likely.  They may prioritize other things over something as small as this, though they may also see this as a "quick win" potentially.

4 hours ago, Grobobobo said:

The Reload TU cost is flat, so you can already do that with a high TU soldier qnd more.

Thanks for pointing that out.  Yeah, I'm discovering (rediscovering?) that as I take this new team a bit further along, so I'm gonna have to eat a few of my words, there!

I guess my new gripe is going to have to be about having Machine Gunners with odd number of TUs, as I can't do two quick bursts with a soldier that has, say, 55 TU pts, b/c the 50% thing rounds up and charges him 28 TU for the first shot, leaving him with 27 and unable to fire a 2nd time.  That I distinctly remember being able to do back in the day w/o issue, as long as I wasn't having to pivot my character severely to start shooting ....