Prototype 2.06 Build New Player Feedback

Hey Team, 

Old time Xcom, TFTD, Apoc and nu-com (long war) player. Have been following for awhile, not sure If I'd like the vibe of xenonauts but took the plunge and its shaping up to be a lot of fun! I hope you keep building the game out as the basis is very enjoyable for me, really got me hooked.

I though I'd try bring in some feedback from someone who hasn't played xenonauts before focusing on the new player experience. So in order of appearance on my notes rather than importance:

1. The cover system isn't really well explained in the tutorials that I saw. I understood it from nu-com as well as reading the shot calculation but the mechanics could use some more explaining - like if you stand at the corner of the building do you get no cover from a 45deg angle? 

The binary nature of cover could probably use a tweak - the game is pretty lethal as is. Ie. maybe a tall wall (green) would offer partial cover (yellow) to angles, where as a low wall would offer nothing (as is current) to represent a soldier's ability to 'hug' the cover. 

2. Friendly fire and when it triggers and doesn't also isn't explained. From trial and error it appears to be when units are next to each other, but then sometimes not when diagonally adjacent and an enemy is at certain angles. 

3. When a mission comes up and you get the aircraft screen - launch aircraft actually takes you to the soldier layout. It took awhile to figure this out and the first mission screen I aborted out of to go and do loadouts because I though pressing launch aircraft would send the transport as is.

4. Following from this, when doing loadouts for a mission there doesn't seem to be an easy/intuitive way to bring up the transport layout. An extra button on the UI would be nice.

5. Timed missions absolutely need reminders. 

6. Some further intro into the financial ecosystem of the game would be really good when that is finalised. 

7. Building/researching basic aircraft weapons and then having to build them individually seems off/clunky.

8. Some colouring or light customisation of soldiers would be really cool. When in heavy armour they're indistinguishable. Options for camo patterns would be awesome. 

Flags on the soldier UI too is a nice to have. 

9. music variety is much needed, I haven't played long and already feeling the loop. 

10. Sounds in general could do with some extra love - death sounds could use variety. Gun sounds need some punch to feel violent/deadly. Environment sounds are pretty good actually. 

11. Convoy ambush mission text says enemies start with half TUs, but many starting blasting multiple shots (even after small moves) which doesn't seem right. 

I've enjoyed the early ramp of missions. The VIP extraction mission seems a bit rough just starting in an open courtyard with Cleaners right next to you - some thought into alien spawning for some missions is probably necessary. 

Still going but wanted to get the first impressions out there!

• Like 3

On 10/16/2023 at 9:09 AM, Hayung said:

Hey Team, 

Old time Xcom, TFTD, Apoc and nu-com (long war) player. Have been following for awhile, not sure If I'd like the vibe of xenonauts but took the plunge and its shaping up to be a lot of fun! I hope you keep building the game out as the basis is very enjoyable for me, really got me hooked.

I though I'd try bring in some feedback from someone who hasn't played xenonauts before focusing on the new player experience. So in order of appearance on my notes rather than importance:

1. The cover system isn't really well explained in the tutorials that I saw. I understood it from nu-com as well as reading the shot calculation but the mechanics could use some more explaining - like if you stand at the corner of the building do you get no cover from a 45deg angle? 

The binary nature of cover could probably use a tweak - the game is pretty lethal as is. Ie. maybe a tall wall (green) would offer partial cover (yellow) to angles, where as a low wall would offer nothing (as is current) to represent a soldier's ability to 'hug' the cover. 

2. Friendly fire and when it triggers and doesn't also isn't explained. From trial and error it appears to be when units are next to each other, but then sometimes not when diagonally adjacent and an enemy is at certain angles. 

3. When a mission comes up and you get the aircraft screen - launch aircraft actually takes you to the soldier layout. It took awhile to figure this out and the first mission screen I aborted out of to go and do loadouts because I though pressing launch aircraft would send the transport as is.

4. Following from this, when doing loadouts for a mission there doesn't seem to be an easy/intuitive way to bring up the transport layout. An extra button on the UI would be nice.

5. Timed missions absolutely need reminders. 

6. Some further intro into the financial ecosystem of the game would be really good when that is finalised. 

7. Building/researching basic aircraft weapons and then having to build them individually seems off/clunky.

8. Some colouring or light customisation of soldiers would be really cool. When in heavy armour they're indistinguishable. Options for camo patterns would be awesome. 

Flags on the soldier UI too is a nice to have. 

9. music variety is much needed, I haven't played long and already feeling the loop. 

10. Sounds in general could do with some extra love - death sounds could use variety. Gun sounds need some punch to feel violent/deadly. Environment sounds are pretty good actually. 

11. Convoy ambush mission text says enemies start with half TUs, but many starting blasting multiple shots (even after small moves) which doesn't seem right. 

I've enjoyed the early ramp of missions. The VIP extraction mission seems a bit rough just starting in an open courtyard with Cleaners right next to you - some thought into alien spawning for some missions is probably necessary. 

Still going but wanted to get the first impressions out there!

Thanks - this is very useful stuff, I appreciate it!