Having just spent some time sending my Xenonauts through pine forests, Arctic slopes and lush jungles, the expanding use of terrain in the game has been on my mind.

Are there any plans to implement differing AP requirements based on the terrain the soldier is going to be moving through?

In EU1994 this was:-

[table=width: 600, class: grid, align: left]

[tr]

[td]Move One Space (Normal Terrain)[/td]

[td]4 TUs[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Move One Space (Medium grass)[/td]

[td]5 TUs[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Move One Space (Tall Grass)[/td]

[td]6 TUs[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Climb or Descend One Space (Hill/Ramp/Stairs)[/td]

[td]8 TUs[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Impassable[/td]

[td]N/A[/td]

[/tr]

[/table]

Extrapolating this you could have:-

[tr]

[td]Move One Space (Normal Terrain)[/td]

[td]4 APs[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Move One Space (Difficult Terrain)[/td]

[td]5 APs[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Move One Space (Very Difficult Terrain)[/td]

[td]6 APs[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Climb or Descend One Space (Hill/Ramp/Stairs)[/td]

[td]8 APs[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Impassable[/td]

[td]N/A[/td]

[/tr]

[/table]

Where the terrain types could be:-

[tr]

[td]Normal - 4[/td]

[td]Road, Street, Grass, Puddles, Light Snowfall[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Difficult - 5[/td]

[td]Mud, Medium Grass, Light Brush, Snow, Stream, Sand, Trail, Low Wall[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Very Difficult - 6[/td]

[td]Marsh, Tall Grass, Brush/Bocage, Uneven Rocks, Deep Snow, Deep Stream, Rickety Bridge, Wall[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Slopes - 8[/td]

[td]Hill, Ramp, Stairs, Swamp, Wheatfield, Dense Foliage, Wreckage, Drift, Shallow River, Dune, Slanted Roof, Crater Ridge/ Shellhole[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Impassable[/td]

[td]Bogs, Cliffs, Deep Woods, Impenetrable Forest, Dense Wreckage, Lake/ Deep River, Cliff[/td]

[/tr]

[/table]

As I enjoy the odd skirmish game, I know this is one area a number of players of such things would look at and say “well, that’s pants then,” or phrases along those lines. Not in a purist way, but as it’s really one of the basics. So, I really do hope it’s something that has been planned and was just awaiting some maps to be in place first.

Extensions of this would be the use of weather affecting some of the tiles during the course of a mission, or altering it slightly as you get there. This was discussed in this thread It looks to be beyond the current scope, but deserves a mention and a reread.

It also mentions the appropriate effects of elevation within the game.

Theoretically it could be done... AP costs are handled in config.xml. But I'm guessing that that Aaron or Chris or whoever is responsible for the tile spectres would have to add an extra variable to the state ID for each damage type (normal, damaged, destroyed) of each tile spectre describing what kind of terrain it is re. AP costs .

There variable "pathscore" in spectere attributes it can be different for different states and if this greater then zero it work as multiplier to ap cost from config,(at least in my tests )

like moveAP=4(current default value) pathscore=4 then apcost for title will be 16. It will be little too big leaps(it's can be only integer values) with current values, but with some batch edits(you need to edit ground anyway) it already possible to make it like you want. There rare "swamp" map in my "jungle" and I used it there.

Edited by zzz1010

Exactly, only thing you need also to think about is diagonal move. Default values is 4 for straight and 6 diagonal. If you make it 1-1 then diagonal move will be too fast(if you understand what I mean), if 1-2 then too slow, maybe to make it 2-3 will be better.

image.png

Edited by zzz1010