Do enemies throw lethal grenades in this game at all?

So one of my fondest memory with XCOM UFO Defense and TFTD is that an enemy can sometime chuck a plasma grenade in your Skyranger  turn 1 and just cause a panic chain. Then trying to salvage the situation or aborting. Great memory to look back and laugh at. 

So far in both of my most successful Ironman playthroughs I haven't encountered nothing like that at all. Am I just lucky ?

Edited by Sunnybuns
  • Like 2

I went about three play throughs without getting a grenade lobbed at me, and then, on the fourth, had two of my guys wiped out with a grenade!  I had grenades thrown at me in the next play through as well.  I think they may have tweaked something in one of the updates.

I don't think it is just about LOS, I think it has more to do with whether your soldiers are grouped close together. The aliens will kill in the most efficient way possible so one grenade for two or more soldiers is what they will go for.

Edited by cwamartin
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, cwamartin said:

I went about three play throughs without getting a grenade lobbed at me, and then, on the fourth, had two of my guys wiped out with a grenade!  I had grenades thrown at me in the next play through as well.  I think they may have tweaked something in one of the updates.

I don't think it is just about LOS, I think it has more to do with whether your soldiers are grouped close together. The aliens will kill in the most efficient way possible so one grenade for two or more soldiers is what they will go for.

Just have been grenaded for the first time in 3 playthroughs yesterday but it did not seem as the most efficient way for the alien, as he lobbed a grenade when standing in smoke in front of 2 of my soldiers with no cover... injuring just one. The next turn he was turned to paste by my squad...

The AI probably seen it in other way...?