V1.29 - Ground Combat / Crash during Friendly Movement

tja

On 8/25/2023 at 6:02 PM, tja said:

I was playing a ground mission and hit "end turn". During the friendly movement the game crashes to desktop. Crash persists in 1.30.

Just end the turn to reproduce the crash. 

Log file is size 0.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nRIwVWj5oUmkz_xRak3a9uUmbQBJTJIm/view?usp=sharing

Thanks for the report. I can't reproduce this from the save file you provided though (even if I revert back to 1.30).

Can you still reproduce it? If so, would you mind switching to the Experimental branch and grabbing the logs?

Thank you so much for your help!

I used 1.31d Experimental and the game did not crash. :)

I have GOG and I deactivated the experimental branch.  Did an uninstall and a new install.

The game claimed to be "1.31d" but loaded much faster than an experimental version. I assume I have the 1.31d stable version now.

I played my save game and the game crashes again. 1.31d stable appears not to be the same as 1.31d experimental ...

What shall I do next?

Edited by tja

I'm glad to hear that the experimental version worked without crashing! It seems there might be some compatibility issues with the stable 1.31d version and your save game. Try these steps:

Back Up Save: Before proceeding, backup your save game files in case anything goes wrong.

Verify Files: Use GOG's or the game's built-in tools to verify the integrity of the game files. This might fix any corrupted data causing crashes.

Community Support: Check online forums or the game's community hub for solutions. Others might have faced similar issues and found workarounds.

Rollback to Experimental: If your save game works well on the experimental version, consider rolling back to it until the stable version stabilizes or a patch is released.

Contact Support: If the issue persists, contact the game's support. They might be aware of the issue and could provide guidance or a timeline for a fix.

Remember, technical issues like crashes can sometimes be complex, and a little patience might be needed. Good luck!

On 8/29/2023 at 5:39 PM, tja said:

Thank you so much for your help!

I used 1.31d Experimental and the game did not crash. :)

I have GOG and I deactivated the experimental branch.  Did an uninstall and a new install.

The game claimed to be "1.31d" but loaded much faster than an experimental version. I assume I have the 1.31d stable version now.

I played my save game and the game crashes again. 1.31d stable appears not to be the same as 1.31d experimental ...

What shall I do next?

Hi - this is a really strange bug then. I've just downloaded the game on GOG and it doesn't seem to crash either on the Experimental branch or the standard branch for me - and I tested three times on the standard branch.

Does it crash every time for you on the normal branch? The sequence of actions during the enemy turn should be slightly different each time and I was wondering if that made a difference?

Anyway, at least you can continue your playthrough by playing on the Experimental branch. You can just take a save after the mission and then switch back to the normal branch. But it's hard for us to fix the crash without getting the logs from the Experimental branch where the game isn't crashing, so I'm not sure there's anything we can do here. But if the issue turns up again please let us know!

I already tried to change the sequence of actions when I still played 1.29. But I couldn't find a not crashing sequence. But I gave it another try and indeed found a sequence where the game did not crash. I then did another game where I used up all action points, saved the game then ended the turn. I repeated that until I  had a crashing save game.

I switched to 1.31d Experimental and ... no crash.

Dear Chris I really appreciate that you tried to find the bug!! However, I do agree with you: if it doesn't crash on experimental and you have no log to help with the search then it is too much effort compared with the chance that you catch the bug.

I'll do as you say and continue my game. Thank you!

• 1 month later...