Atlas Base concept

This was very likely covered and probably even brought up and explained at one point or another, so I apologise upfront.

It's been very long since I followed development closely and I couldn't find it, hence I ask here.

Is Atlas base concept, scrapped up for good? It won't change anything for me but I did find that approach interesting, versus X1 all, familiar covert bases approach. Will it come back or be introduced in some form?

Edit: ah, never mind I found it

But I gotta say that this poll seems to be be diehard multiple bases players and unrealistic because I was hoping for more of Atlas approach to strategic layer in X2, shame.

Based on response afterwards, I can see that I am not alone thinking this but it's too late to change it I guess.

• Confused 1

27 minutes ago, Senteliks said:

This was very likely covered and probably even brought up and explained at one point or another, so I apologise upfront.

It's been very long since I followed development closely and I couldn't find it, hence I ask here.

Is Atlas base concept, scrapped up for good? It won't change anything for me but I did find that approach interesting, versus X1 all, familiar covert bases approach. Will it come back or be introduced in some form?

Edit: ah, never mind I found it

But I gotta say that this poll seems to be be diehard multiple bases players and unrealistic because I was hoping for more of Atlas approach to strategic layer in X2, shame.

Based on response afterwards, I can see that I am not alone thinking this but it's too late to change it I guess.

Yeah, the XCOM style side-base system just isn't a good match for a game like classic X-Com. Multiple bases and a top-down view (which means you can create layouts you can fight within in base defence missions) work much better.

I appreciate not everyone was happy with the decision, but 90% of people who voted were willing to support the change. I don't think there's anything unrealistic about those numbers though - even if only 10% of people dislike the change, that's still 500+ of our Kickstarter backers and tens of thousands of our potential Steam players who feel that way.

It's possible that you will see the game move a few of the mechanics out of the bases and onto the Geoscape itself during Early Access, but we'd need to test those and see how people feel about them before making any final decisions there.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chris said:

Yeah, the XCOM style side-base system just isn't a good match for a game like classic X-Com. Multiple bases and a top-down view (which means you can create layouts you can fight within in base defence missions) work much better.

I appreciate not everyone was happy with the decision, but 90% of people who voted were willing to support the change. I don't think there's anything unrealistic about those numbers though - even if only 10% of people dislike the change, that's still 500+ of our Kickstarter backers and tens of thousands of our potential Steam players who feel that way.

It's possible that you will see the game move a few of the mechanics out of the bases and onto the Geoscape itself during Early Access, but we'd need to test those and see how people feel about them before making any final decisions there.

You are right though, the 'unrealistic' was harsh way to put it. I understand where it came from - back then this was vote of community sticking through  out for X2 :) I wasn't one of them, even though I was through x1 EA up to point of "where we head next". Can't help but think of all the ways this could've been taken advantage of from "fun" point of view. As design goes, I get that choices had to be made. 

But most of what I have in mind goes beyond what Atlas was suppose to be and I guess that's where you had to draw the line. Though, there are some possibilities that base system definitely could be expanded on, and I look forward to it, thanks Chris for taking time to reply and really glad to see you guys successfully launching to EA.