Melee weapons and character traits/perks

I know the original X-com didn't have melee weapons, and with reaction fire it would be a difficult way to play the game. But I long to be able to give a character a samurai sword, a power axe or even a modded chainsaw when getting in close to the alien menace. Mostly in the interest of giving my characters a sense of individualism and grittiness.

On the matter of individualism, I love the way the characters stats build as you play, as with the X-com game of yesteryear. But I have long since been in love with the perk system of fallout and it's subsequent games. Not saying that you should use that exactly, but named traits and unlocked skills that give minor bonuses to certain functions would be great (e.g. a Xenonaut who kills 20 aliens with grenades gains the Shrapnel happy trait, adding an extra square radius with thrown grenades), mayhaps a little superfluous, but would serve to add flavour to each character in your squads.

Anyway, shaping up to be a game that will destroy all of my free time, so big love to ya!

Goblin I'm afraid that the Xenonaut soldiers will already be using the stock or butt of their weapons to melee attack aliens (+ the stunn prod). Positive thing is melee attacks are already in :)

You might be able to modd in some of your melee weapons, but they aren't likely to be official since there are already other things fillling that role and animating the soldiers with all those different melee weapons would be a lot of extra sprite sheets. (every weapon times every armour times every action the soldier can perform that5 shows the weapon)

Positive thing is melee attacks are already in :)

I think perk systems has been brought up a few times. I personally feel that it doesn't work as well (together with the stats system) in a large squad based game as it does in a "party of heroes" or single hero type game. I think that large squad games should either have the stats system OR the perks system, not both at the same time. Having both would feel rather redundant imo.