Feedback from a returning player

Hello, returning Xenonauts EA player here (bought that game 30 JUL 2013). Haven't touched the game since ~2015 nor followed the Xenonauts 2 development since then.
After playing Xenonauts 2 up to day 150 on Veteran difficulty Milestone v1.22 (Endgame progress: ~50%). My first impressions/feedback:

The good:
- I like how this game is much more smoother than the first and there's less hung ups in enemy computation
- I loved the air combat system in the first game; the second game is a significant improvement to it. However I reckon the aerial combat pacing is slightly too fast and could be slowed down a notch.
- Game feels more forgiving and easier than Xenonauts 1 EA - guess I need to increase the difficulty. Atm I feel like the air war is 'off-paced', it took up until Day 140 for me to feel some pressure. My memories of Xenonauts 1 was getting thrown into the thick of it and I could not produce enough fighters to shoot down everything.

Questionable:
- Mechanicals seems rarer and easier to deal with this time around. Without the androns, I felt like the game lost a good deal of charm. I liked the pressure that enemy type gave out and when a horde of them slowly walks to your line it did feel menacing.
- The cleaner arc is way too short, the concept/idea seems cool but I would like to see them do things that the player can see/interact with instead of geoscape notifications. Maybe they conduct scouting missions with the possibility of an early base invasion? (I clearly didn't play through the entire xeno2 tutorial :p )... Perhaps upon taking out their HQ, their remnants launches an early terror mission as a last ditch reprisal - surely they couldn't all be chilling at base?

Bad:
- Needing to hold down CTRL to free-aim isn't intuitive at all, I prefered the first game way of doing things. During the demo, I was led to believe that free-aim got removed and it turned me off from the game.
- I felt like the UI have taken a step back in some aspects compared to Xenonauts 1; obstructions should be highlighted in red the small red text isn't that noticeable especially with how smooth the graphics are now. 
- UFO designs are too simplistic right now and it's the weakest point of the game for me right now. Though it is a step up from the first game where the scout UFO has enemies squatting in a ~5x5 ship. Would like to see larger ships and more environment props; where destroying that tile affects the mission rewards.

Also I understand what vibe xenonauts is aiming for. But I feel like the weapon/tech system needs a massive rework for it to be more engaging. It needs more side-gradeability/options so things feel less clear-cut. Maybe something like:
Accelerated weapons - make them significantly cheaper; right now since the early game is shorter than the first game it feels like a massive trap to invest into this tech.
Lasers - weaker damage, higher armor damage and high terrain destruction capability; maybe interchangeable ammo across all guns etc.
Gauss - high damage, low armor damage and low terrain destruction capability

Wishlist:
- We need more tooltips to guide the player. Right now since I'm operating on my recollection of the first game, I prioritized air control and sold off so many items to do so. This might be overlooked but I think a more modern/intuitive approach to the storeroom would be appreciated (tooltips that tell which item boosts research speed and which one is junk/sellable etc). I don't know, I always sold the alien magnetic/plasma weapons; hopefully it wasn't a mistake... 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Keneco said:

Hello, returning Xenonauts EA player here (bought that game 30 JUL 2013). Haven't touched the game since ~2015 nor followed the Xenonauts 2 development since then.
After playing Xenonauts 2 up to day 150 on Veteran difficulty Milestone v1.22 (Endgame progress: ~50%). My first impressions/feedback:

The good:
- I like how this game is much more smoother than the first and there's less hung ups in enemy computation
- I loved the air combat system in the first game; the second game is a significant improvement to it. However I reckon the aerial combat pacing is slightly too fast and could be slowed down a notch.
- Game feels more forgiving and easier than Xenonauts 1 EA - guess I need to increase the difficulty. Atm I feel like the air war is 'off-paced', it took up until Day 140 for me to feel some pressure. My memories of Xenonauts 1 was getting thrown into the thick of it and I could not produce enough fighters to shoot down everything.

Questionable:
- Mechanicals seems rarer and easier to deal with this time around. Without the androns, I felt like the game lost a good deal of charm. I liked the pressure that enemy type gave out and when a horde of them slowly walks to your line it did feel menacing.
- The cleaner arc is way too short, the concept/idea seems cool but I would like to see them do things that the player can see/interact with instead of geoscape notifications. Maybe they conduct scouting missions with the possibility of an early base invasion? (I clearly didn't play through the entire xeno2 tutorial :p )... Perhaps upon taking out their HQ, their remnants launches an early terror mission as a last ditch reprisal - surely they couldn't all be chilling at base?

Bad:
- Needing to hold down CTRL to free-aim isn't intuitive at all, I prefered the first game way of doing things. During the demo, I was led to believe that free-aim got removed and it turned me off from the game.
- I felt like the UI have taken a step back in some aspects compared to Xenonauts 1; obstructions should be highlighted in red the small red text isn't that noticeable especially with how smooth the graphics are now. 
- UFO designs are too simplistic right now and it's the weakest point of the game for me right now. Though it is a step up from the first game where the scout UFO has enemies squatting in a ~5x5 ship. Would like to see larger ships and more environment props; where destroying that tile affects the mission rewards.

Also I understand what vibe xenonauts is aiming for. But I feel like the weapon/tech system needs a massive rework for it to be more engaging. It needs more side-gradeability/options so things feel less clear-cut. Maybe something like:
Accelerated weapons - make them significantly cheaper; right now since the early game is shorter than the first game it feels like a massive trap to invest into this tech.
Lasers - weaker damage, higher armor damage and high terrain destruction capability; maybe interchangeable ammo across all guns etc.
Gauss - high damage, low armor damage and low terrain destruction capability

Wishlist:
- We need more tooltips to guide the player. Right now since I'm operating on my recollection of the first game, I prioritized air control and sold off so many items to do so. This might be overlooked but I think a more modern/intuitive approach to the storeroom would be appreciated (tooltips that tell which item boosts research speed and which one is junk/sellable etc). I don't know, I always sold the alien magnetic/plasma weapons; hopefully it wasn't a mistake... 

Great, thanks for writing this all out. This is really useful stuff!

Although I really wish there was a way I could just get returning players to play the tutorial so they could understand how to do force-fire and the shoot-move preview! :)