Real-Time with Pause mode a la X-Com: Apocalypse

There were an Game-Row of that Gerne called UFO-After-Series (UFO Aftermath, UFO Aftershock, UFO Afterlight), which tested that out again during the 2k-Time. Later the JA 2: Back in Action-Rework did the same and the new XCOM-Row with the tactical Shooter Burea. The outcome: The Groundfights in that Gernes are not good with Real-Time and the step back to Round-Times gives more and better possibilitys.

That´s why the new XCOM-Row (XCOM: EU / EW, complete XCOM 2 incl. DLCs and XCOM: Chimera Squad), Phoenix Point (the original old X-Com-Makers), JA 3 and similar Games uses the Round-Base in Combats again, combined with the Real-Time on the Geoscape.

JA3 real time exploration to turn based combat switch is just nightmare to try set up any kind of sensible ambush etc., mostly because you can't initiate the combat turn mode yourself etc... realtime is horrible for tactics that require coordination since you can't realtime shoot all the targets even thou the characters could shoot all on the same call. For JA3 the RT exploration is needed because people will want to scour every nook and cranny of every map node, it's still total garbage for trying to set up overwatch etc., because you're not six persons acting on a plan.

Here where the only tactical map is a) an landed/crashed UFO b) a base, and you'll from the start have ~90% idea where the "end" is, which you could reach in three turns running straight. I've at no point wished I could have the tactical maps run RT in any way.

As an option for those that want it sure if it's easy enough to implement, personally I think there isn't time in this game for "real- time" aside from geoscape (as in I'd never use it).

• Like 1