Crash at 78% New Game loading mission

Hello, this is a repeatable crash I have been experiencing for months, clean re-installations and waiting for the next patch, and now EA release, haven't fixed it. Clearing documents folder also hasn't fixed. It reliably crashes at 78% after starting a new game (start new game, watch or skip intro video, loading-->78% crash) every time. I'm not putting the version tag in title because it has been reliable across many versions.

Is there a known solution for this?
Thank you.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, starshine said:

Hello, this is a repeatable crash I have been experiencing for months, clean re-installations and waiting for the next patch, and now EA release, haven't fixed it. Clearing documents folder also hasn't fixed. It reliably crashes at 78% after starting a new game (start new game, watch or skip intro video, loading-->78% crash) every time. I'm not putting the version tag in title because it has been reliable across many versions.

Is there a known solution for this?
Thank you.

Hmmm. We've fixed a similar bug but it was happening prior to the Main Menu screen loading, so it sounds like you're encountering something different. We're happy to look into it though.

Would you be able to switch to the debug beta branch (right-click on the game >> Properties >> Betas) and try it there?

If it crashes, can you send over the output.log? That might tell us what is going wrong. Details on where to find that are in the sticky at the top of the forum.

8 hours ago, starshine said:

Thanks, I've tried it in 'experimental' and 'disabled' in GOG Galaxy settings with no change.

The output log in documents/my games/xenonauts 2 is an empty file sorry, it must be crashing before it can log

Thank you

Sorry, would you mind trying it on "experimental" in GOG again? I recently pushed a new update there and that one *should* be producing logs. 

6 hours ago, starshine said:

Thanks, here is a log from the experimental

I hope it's helpful, I have noticed there's a couple threads on the GOG community forum on what sounds like the same issue so it might be a GOG issue?

output.log 568 kB · 0 downloads

Thanks. Yeah, this is interesting. There's a LOT of errors in that log. We'll take a look and I might come back to you with some more questions on the topic.

6 hours ago, starshine said:

Thanks, here is a log from the experimental

I hope it's helpful, I have noticed there's a couple threads on the GOG community forum on what sounds like the same issue so it might be a GOG issue?

output.log 568 kB · 2 downloads

OK, so we think we know what the issue is. The errors are looking for missing assets - but the assets it's trying to find were deleted back in 2020. I think there's been a historic issue with GOG Galaxy where it doesn't uninstall the game properly and leaves some files behind, so I think you've got some corrupted or out of date files in your install and they've been there for years.

You should be able to fix this by manually going to your install directory and manually deleting the whole thing. Don't do it through GOG Galaxy. If you then reinstall, it should work fine. Let me know if that works!

34 minutes ago, starshine said:

Thank you! Do you have a comms channel to let GOG know about the issue? If not I could contact GOG support about it.

GOG actually told us about the issue shortly before launch - shame they didn't tell us three years ago, but I'm glad it's resolved either way. It'll therefore only affect Kickstarter backers, and I've posted on the GOG forums about the solution too so it should hopefully we sorted from now on!