UFO landing site question

I went to a landed UFO site just now, which went fairly well although in the urban kind of tile set some of the doors you opened you couldn't go through because there was a cabinet placed too close to the door.

Anyway, after killing what I assume was the last alien, the mission ended, I figured I was victorious... only when I went back to the Geoscape it flashed me a message "UFO has escaped into space."

Did I need to rush into the UFO to prevent it from leaving? Or is the game resolving completed landing sites as the UFO "escaping" since it is removed from the Geoscape?

16.1 and not sure its a bug, just a question.

Anyway, after killing what I assume was the last alien, the mission ended, I figured I was victorious... only when I went back to the Geoscape it flashed me a message "UFO has escaped into space."

Did I need to rush into the UFO to prevent it from leaving? Or is the game resolving completed landing sites as the UFO "escaping" since it is removed from the Geoscape?

That's a bug. Like you said in your follow up, it's down to having a second aircraft(s) targetting the UFO.

You can produce it easily as it's not just the after affects of groundcombat which trigger it. If you have two squadrons of aircraft targetting a single UFO, the moment it gets shot down you get a popup saying it's escaped. It's essentially an incorrect report from the second set of aircraft.

Edited by Buzzles