v25.1/v25.2 Playtest Sitrep [Veteran]

Melee

Observed Wierdness:

UI Text:

- Suggest changing new game intro text "A strong correlation emerges between reported these sightings..." to "... between these reported sightings..."

- Tooltip for 'Save Game' button on save game dialog speaks of loading a game instead of saving a game.

- Base building information capacities don't jive mathematically with base information capacities.

e.g., Living quarter building information shows 15 capacity with +2 adjacency, yet starting base has two living quarters with adjacency and base information shows total of 24 capacity. 15+15+2=24?

- Xenopedia entry for SkyHawk Dropship lists carrying capacity as 9 while the descriptive text says 8.

- Strategic Objective tooltip for 'Prepare for the Alien Invasion' has grammer and spelling errors.

- Tooltip for recruiting soldiers says transit time is 3 days. Once recruited, Manage Soldiers shows transit time as 2 days for recruited soldier.

- 'Scientists in transit' tooltip has 'Engineers in base' title.

- 'Hire x scientists' button has tooltip for 'Begin research project'

- v25.2 Alpha Build Dialog: Clicking on yellow 'www.goldhawkinteractive.com' and Discord 'here' links don't launch browser.

Air Combat:

- 'Aircraft Afterburner' default key 'W' mapping same as 'Camera Up' mapping.

Geoscape:

- If the map is scrolled to be centered on a narrow range in the middle of Pacific Ocean the base placement radar range disappears for one half of the globe depending on which side of center the cursor is located.

- Renaming a single in-flight aircraft from aircraft screen doesn't update their icon name on geoscape.

Performance:

- Loading of save games behaves like it has a memory leak. Repeatedly loading a save will eventually consume all of memory and result in swap file thrashing. Reproduce by creating a strategic layer save and repeatedly load it over and over. The Xenonauts process will eventually consume all of free memory and more resulting in paging.

- The Xenonauts 2 store page on Steam list 4 GB memory as a minimum system requirement, so I tried 4 GB for giggles. While technically possible, it is an exercise in patience waiting for the swap drive to finish thrashing. Not very playable.  Exacerbated by above memory leak behavior.

Irritant:

- Existing sort order on recruit dialog is reset when soldier is recruited.

Questions:

- Why is Osprey image used for Chinook SkyHawk?

Wishes:

- Sorting personnel by status includes a secondary sort by loadout for each status.

- "Saving..." message during Quicksave is incorporated into "Save successful" popup or otherwise moved somewhere it doesn't overlay other UI elements.

- Pressing 'Enter' when entering save game name, saves and closes save dialog.

Edited by Melee

1 hour ago, Melee said:

Observed Wierdness:

UI Text:

- Suggest changing new game intro text "A strong correlation emerges between reported these sightings..." to "... between these reported sightings..."

- Tooltip for 'Save Game' button on save game dialog speaks of loading a game instead of saving a game.

- Base building information capacities don't jive mathematically with base information capacities.

e.g., Living quarter building information shows 15 capacity with +2 adjacency, yet starting base has two living quarters with adjacency and base information shows total of 24 capacity. 15+15+2=24?

- Xenopedia entry for SkyHawk Dropship lists carrying capacity as 9 while the descriptive text says 8.

- Strategic Objective tooltip for 'Prepare for the Alien Invasion' has grammer and spelling errors.

- Tooltip for recruiting soldiers says transit time is 3 days. Once recruited, Manage Soldiers shows transit time as 2 days for recruited soldier.

- 'Scientists in transit' tooltip has 'Engineers in base' title.

- 'Hire x scientists' button has tooltip for 'Begin research project'

- v25.2 Alpha Build Dialog: Clicking on yellow 'www.goldhawkinteractive.com' and Discord 'here' links don't launch browser.

Air Combat:

- 'Aircraft Afterburner' default key 'W' mapping same as 'Camera Up' mapping.

Geoscape:

- If the map is scrolled to be centered on a narrow range in the middle of Pacific Ocean the base placement radar range disappears for one half of the globe depending on which side of center the cursor is located.

- Renaming a single in-flight aircraft from aircraft screen doesn't update their icon name on geoscape.

Performance:

- Loading of save games behaves like it has a memory leak. Repeatedly loading a save will eventually consume all of memory and result in swap file thrashing. Reproduce by creating a strategic layer save and repeatedly load it over and over. The Xenonauts process will eventually consume all of free memory and more resulting in paging.

- The Xenonauts 2 store page on Steam list 4 GB memory as a minimum system requirement, so I tried 4 GB for giggles. While technically possible, it is an exercise in patience waiting for the swap drive to finish thrashing. Not very playable.  Exacerbated by above memory leak behavior.

Irritant:

- Existing sort order on recruit dialog is reset when soldier is recruited.

Questions:

- Why is Osprey image used for Chinook SkyHawk?

Wishes:

- Sorting personnel by status includes a secondary sort by loadout for each status.

- "Saving..." message during Quicksave is incorporated into "Save successful" popup or otherwise moved somewhere it doesn't overlay other UI elements.

- Pressing 'Enter' when entering save game name, saves and closes save dialog.

Thanks, I appreciate the detailed points. I'll fixed a number of the issues (mostly tooltip ones) myself for the next update, and I'll talk to the programmers about most of the other points when they're back in the new year.

The Osprey graphic is just because the dropship used to be an Osprey, and we've not reskinned the Geoscape yet. We'll update it then.

Could you explain what you mean by "Saving... message during Quicksave is incorporated into "Save successful" popup or otherwise moved somewhere it doesn't overlay other UI elements" a bit more?

When quicksaving, there is a brief "Saving..." text in the upper left corner that is splattered over the gear menu, etc. It is brief and not very noticeable being gray like all the other ui elements.  Until I noticed it, I wasn't sure it was saving.  When the save is finished a "Save successful" notification pops up in the middle of the screen.  If the notification could pop up saying "Saving...." and then change to "Save successful" when finished it would be more noticeable and in front of where I'm naturally looking most of the time.  Otherwise, I could also envision it doing "Saving...." somewhere it doesn't overlay other ui elements, down in the lower left near the objectives, for example, in a larger font with a contrasting color, but I think incorporating it into the notification popup and making the popup a bit larger is more elegant and visible.

Edited by Melee

5 hours ago, Melee said:

When quicksaving, there is a brief "Saving..." text in the upper left corner that is splattered over the gear menu, etc. It is brief and not very noticeable being gray like all the other ui elements.  Until I noticed it, I wasn't sure it was saving.  When the save is finished a "Save successful" notification pops up in the middle of the screen.  If the notification could pop up saying "Saving...." and then change to "Save successful" when finished it would be more noticeable and in front of where I'm naturally looking most of the time.  Otherwise, I could also envision it doing "Saving...." somewhere it doesn't overlay other ui elements, down in the lower left near the objectives, for example, in a larger font with a contrasting color, but I think incorporating it into the notification popup and making the popup a bit larger is more elegant and visible.

Yeah, this can probably be done for quicksaves at least.

5 hours ago, Melee said:

Also, I like the approach vector options in the air combat without having to tail for bit first like in the first Xenonauts.  I don't think the aircraft had function key bindings for the individual aircraft, will these be added?

Hmmm, yeah, you're right - there's no hotkeys to select the individual interceptors. We'll get that updated.

• Melee changed the title to v25.1/v25.2 Playtest Sitrep [Veteran]