[v25.1b - Ground Combat] Destroyed wall does not match visual state (and other visual glitches)

asdfcyber

This particular bit of wall got hit with five of the six shotgun shells fired by a rather inaccurate unit. It does not appear damaged, but it can be walked and shot through.

image.png.e3a7a4fbe9dbf9e48bbfc7a989dae799.png

When reloading the save to get a funny picture of someone walking through a wall, it sadly decided to vanish. I included the save anyway.

Edit: also, the windows of that building can be jumped through without breaking them.

Edit 2: by the way, are the hedges on this map supposed to look like this? I don't consider these edits big enough for their own topic but it's the same save. Please tell me if you do want to see separate threads though.

image.png.267832f128a2a888aced7fcf80b6c862.png

Edit 3: the hay appears as low cover on the cursor, but does not actually function as cover.

image.png.ac74e9448b81d2fd075a66e9fa54b0bc.png

user_day_33_crash_site_manual_save_4-4.json

Edited by asdfcyber
hay

• asdfcyber changed the title to [v25.1b - Ground Combat] Destroyed wall does not match visual state (and other visual glitches)

Thanks. The Farm biome hasn't had its final destruction work done yet, so things like windows shattering will be added in the coming months. But even in unfinished biomes everything should still disappear when destroyed, so I'll take a look at the walls because it seems they're not even set up to support destruction at the moment.

No, the hedges aren't meant to look like that - and they don't look like that in Unity either. It seems like the shader in the compiled game isn't working properly. We'll take a look at that too.

@asdfcyber so I looked into this a bit more, and actually that farm wall is set up correctly after all (which is probably why it was destroyed when you loaded the game).

There is a rare bug in the game that we can't reliably reproduce when objects don't get destroyed correctly, and it looks like that's what has happened here. If you see this happen again then it'd be great if you could post it up and include as much info as possible. Logs will be important, and ideally the saves from before and after it occured so we can try and reproduce it ourselves.

1 hour ago, Chris said:

There is a rare bug in the game that we can't reliably reproduce when objects don't get destroyed correctly, and it looks like that's what has happened here. If you see this happen again then it'd be great if you could post it up and include as much info as possible. Logs will be important, and ideally the saves from before and after it occured so we can try and reproduce it ourselves.

I'll keep it in mind. I tried to reproduce it with the autosave right before the bug (included here) and it didn't work. Just in case it does for you, here's what I think I did to get to the manual save included above:

1. Move the shield through the doorway and look right
2. Throw a flashbang next to the wall so that the alien is in the radius but the shotgun is not (why can flashbang effects travel through the wall btw?)
3. Move the shield into the final position in the image above
4. Move the shotgun into the final position in the image above, shoot twice

I'm not entirely sure if this is exactly right but it might help. I also found the log timestamped a couple of minutes after the autosave (output.log.3), I also included the newer one just to be sure (output.log.2). The save right after was already included in the first post.

Edit: huh, apparently the forum appends some sort of hash with these file extensions.

auto_groundcombat_turn_7_start-119.json output.log_2.06d9d006fccbaebb9f9c021d508af04f output.log_3.04834c5ab03291650ea3a9cd57cd6f44

Edited by asdfcyber

I had it happen again with the same kind of wall. The quicksave is after the wall got destroyed-but-not-visually, it happened on the first turn so I have no save from before the event. Note: this is from my v25.2 campaign of which I edited the last save, but the ground combat was generated in v25.3 so I don't think that influences things.

Edit: Interestingly, the next shot missed and hit another wall which did vanish:

image.png.77581280df65df3b935524772f7394ec.png

This is the complete sequence of events:
1. I discovered the alien in the corner with my scout
2. The guy on the top right hit the blue box with a grenade
3. I machinegunned the wall the sebilian is hiding behind (from the bottom right)
4. The selected guy missed the alien and shot the wall which is now missing in the screenshot

output_farmwall.log quick-41.json

Edited by asdfcyber
typo

• 2 weeks later...

Here's another one but with a wall in an abductor:

image.png.870ab406a6e1bbc5ad78c619bfc6f741.png

The autosave is at the start of this turn, the manual save is when I took this screenshot, and the logs can hopefully fill in the blanks. This wall does not disappear when reloading, so perhaps it's not related to this particular bug.

auto_groundcombat_turn_6_start-400.json user_day_144_crash_site_manual_save-27.json output_wallissue.log

Edited by asdfcyber

On 1/1/2023 at 11:56 AM, asdfcyber said:

Here's another one but with a wall in an abductor:

image.png.870ab406a6e1bbc5ad78c619bfc6f741.png

The autosave is at the start of this turn, the manual save is when I took this screenshot, and the logs can hopefully fill in the blanks. This wall does not disappear when reloading, so perhaps it's not related to this particular bug.

auto_groundcombat_turn_6_start-400.json 2.33 MB · 0 downloads user_day_144_crash_site_manual_save-27.json 1.43 MB · 1 download output_wallissue.log 3.95 MB · 0 downloads

Thanks. Yes, this is a problem with the tile itself rather than being an example of the destructibility bug. I'll get it fixed.