Melee attacks and height

Twigg

I am currently playing V24.5 and just completed a terror mission. It was the map with the supermarket in the lower right hand corner, gas station in the upper left hand corner and the restaurant in the upper right corner. Near the end the of the mission I went to the edge of the supermarket roof and shot down at a Sebilian who proceeded to Air Jordan himself to reflex melee attack my soldier from the ground floor. I am pretty confident it was a melee attack as it hand the melee animation and there was no gunfire sound. Suffice to say I was pretty surprised (and impressed).

Is this expected behavior? I understand that if you are within a tile you are in melee range but I assumed being a floor up put you at a greater distance. Should I create battle plans moving forward on the assumption that the aliens are not only great shots and psykers but were also failed draft picks from the NBA?

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/28/2022 at 10:25 PM, Twigg said:

I am currently playing V24.5 and just completed a terror mission. It was the map with the supermarket in the lower right hand corner, gas station in the upper left hand corner and the restaurant in the upper right corner. Near the end the of the mission I went to the edge of the supermarket roof and shot down at a Sebilian who proceeded to Air Jordan himself to reflex melee attack my soldier from the ground floor. I am pretty confident it was a melee attack as it hand the melee animation and there was no gunfire sound. Suffice to say I was pretty surprised (and impressed).

Is this expected behavior? I understand that if you are within a tile you are in melee range but I assumed being a floor up put you at a greater distance. Should I create battle plans moving forward on the assumption that the aliens are not only great shots and psykers but were also failed draft picks from the NBA?

Heh. No, that's not intended behaviour. It looks like you're correct that melee attacks are ignoring height so that's a bug we'll need to fix.