[v1.3, V2.0 - Geoscape] Repeated Quicksave breaks personnel slot (and potentially other things)

wulf 21

I finally found a way to reliably reproduce the issue the existence of which I hinted in:

1. start the game from desktop
  2. start new game
  3. place initial base
  4. go to "Main Base" tab
  5. hire 2 scientists - this results in having 16/16 personnel capacity
  6. add the 2 scientists to laboratory by left clicking it (Total of 5 in there now - 5 slots from left used)
  7. press F5
  8. go to "Soldiers" tab
  9. fire 1 soldier
  10. go to "Main Base" tab - the personnel capacity is now 15/16
  11. hire 1 engineer - the personnel capacity is now 16/16
  12. add the engineer to the workshop by left-clicking it (Total of 4 in there now - 4 slots from the left used)
  13. press F5 - resulting save attached: quick_save.json
  14. press F9

Result:

• The personnel slot button marked in screenshot is broken
    • it is no longer possible to remove the engineer by right clicking the slot button but the 3 buttons left of it are still working
    • right clicking workshop immediately brings up the window that asks if you want to demolish the workshop (which normally only happens after removing the last person in it)
    • it is still possible to add more engineers to the workshop with left click and remove them with right click - the demolition question always appears if right click should remove the engineer off the broken slot
  • the personnel capacity is now incorrectly 15/16 - it is possible to hire one more person
  • the result is permanent in the safe file (you should see it in quick_save) and future save files

Notes:

• I had this symptom before in my savegames but without firing soldiers, so death during ground combat can have same effect
  • If the game is started from desktop, I was not able to reproduce it without step 7. But after trying a lot of stuff and always using "quit to main menu", this was possible
  • At one point in my many tries, the game somehow returned back to a quicksave state I already had overwritten - even if directly loading the quick_save from load menu, only after going to desktop and starting the game again, it was possible to load the correct quicksave - there really seems to be some incorrect RAM caching of savefiles so it would not load from file system. So I would see something I described in
  • Might be cause of some "just happened somehow but can't reproduce" issues if there was saving/loading while it happened originally but not while trying to reproduce them lik

Screenshot:

2018-12-18_2053_1.thumb.png.0f842c745c0b44ca0faf54d23b91cbe1.png

Edited by wulf 21
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I can still reproduce this in V2.0

The only modification to reproduction steps is in Step 12, it is now "Total of 3 in there now - 3 slots from the left used" - because 1 engineer now starts in radar. The slot that gets broken is now the 3rd from the left because of that.

Another quick note: On first try after starting up V2.0 without having any V2.0 saves created before, only old saves, the game did not load the new quicksave with F9 in step 14. Looking into the ESC-menu, the Qicksave was was displayed as Version "0.0.0" despite being new. I had to use the save menu and save a test.sav, after loading it the issue was in the test.sav. Strangely enough, after loading the test.sav the quicksave now was displayed as Version "0.37.0" and it was possible to load it.

It seems there is some strage thing that lets the game mix up partial information from saves that were loaded into RAM before saving again with information from the actual save files...

Quicksave from V2.0 with broken slot inside: quick_save.json

Screenshot with broken slot marked as it looks in V2.0. Living capacity still 15/16 despite having 16 personell before saving in step 13:

2019-02-02_1331_1.thumb.png.d318a810ffa7802d82298e5e572175c8.png

• Thanks 1

On 12/18/2018 at 8:47 PM, wulf 21 said:
  • start the game from desktop
  • start new game
  • place initial base
  • go to "Main Base" tab
  • hire 2 scientists - this results in having 16/16 personnel capacity
  • add the 2 scientists to laboratory by left clicking it (Total of 5 in there now - 5 slots from left used)
  • press F5
  • go to "Soldiers" tab
  • fire 1 soldier
  • go to "Main Base" tab - the personnel capacity is now 15/16
  • hire 1 engineer - the personnel capacity is now 16/16
  • add the engineer to the workshop by left-clicking it (Total of 4 in there now - 4 slots from the left used)
  • press F5 - resulting save attached: quick_save.json
  • press F9

Great job with this, that's a really good find. I'll look into the other stuff a bit later but this is definitely broken in some peculiar manner.