[9.5.1] Planes leaving air combat due to low fuel are sitting ducks

I just had an engagement with a Medium Scout where my 3 planes all gave the message that they were low on fuel and would not be able to return to base if they were to continue the fight. OK... I send 2 of them home and let one behind to attempt to shoot down the UFO. The two planes that are leaving do a swift u-turn and then continue to leave the combat area with about 75% speed, according to the speed setting. They seem to be hardly moving, and their controls are unresponsive, with no indication of that being intended. The UFO then proceeds to shoot down the two planes leaving, because they fly so slowly and because they cannot take evasive action.

I had a similar issue with out-gunned alien fighters. When an alien fighter detects that it cannot win a fight (Out manned, out gunned) it retreats. This I can understand. So why does it re-engage after it has just retreated, forcing it to retreat again in a never ending cycle of engaging and retreating. This causes you to lose your interceptors because they ran out of fuel due to constantly entering air combat. It's almost like the AI has found a flaw and is exploiting it for it's own gain.

I had a similar issue with out-gunned alien fighters. When an alien fighter detects that it cannot win a fight (Out manned, out gunned) it retreats. This I can understand. So why does it re-engage after it has just retreated, forcing it to retreat again in a never ending cycle of engaging and retreating. This causes you to lose your interceptors because they ran out of fuel due to constantly entering air combat. It's almost like the AI has found a flaw and is exploiting it for it's own gain.

This is a bug, they did not have weapons on board, and as such couldn't fight. Being fixed.