Question about the alian Power core

Hi Guys.

I have enter a alian base...have destroy the alian power core and abort the Mission. As I know, if you destroy the power core and abort the Mission, than you will success.

But the Base is still there!!!! WTF is going on there? I must say I play on Ironman, means I can not save. So the game is really hard. Thats why I have just destroy the power core, to destroy the base an save my solders....but the Base is still there. It makes me really angry! Its just not fair...If I had know, that the base will be still there...I will go to kill all allians....but know I must make the Mission again. Is that a bug or do I dont have somethings understand there????

Meybe the Alianbase will be destroy from the alian in a few time, because the power core is not there anymore????I hope so...I really don't like bugs...it ruins all the fun in the game.

Pleas explain me the situation...sorry for my English...hope you guys understand me well.