Psionics, any news? would they be implemented in later versions?

i like altair's version of psi the best, basically a second sight that sees through walls, and with the right tool you can do mind control and what not, but only at short range, and if you can sense them with one of your senses. the ai seemed better at using it as well, since if capable the mind controlled unit would drop a grenade and blow everyone up. in the end, i pretty much just used psi suppressors though.

so if there is a counter to being mind controlled from across the map without any sort of detection of the unit being attacked, then i am happy.

I'd really like to see them in the game. As Icevamp says, and supported by losing your troopswhile training, you could lose them for psi lab training. This would be for implant surgery and possible a second spell away be programmed MK Ultra style for up to a game month?

and all my other reasons I just noticed I posted above on a thread that's not as new as I thought it was :-)

Having just picked up the original on steam I haven't had time to play it yet but I watched some UFO:EU let's plays on youtube (some of them 60+ episodes long). It seemed to me in each case the player chased after PSI abilities the game suddenly got a LOT easier. Significantly easier at that. See an alien -> mind control -> toss a live nade at their feet or just have them throw their weapons to the ground. Once disarmed they were a lot easier to fight and kill.

At the point you were able to mind control the aliens fairly easily a LOT of the tension went out of the battles and it seemed also out of the players. Because instead of "oh no an alien!" It was "oh just mind control this guy blah blah zzzzzz". So I for one credit Chris with NOT wanting PSI abilities in the game.

Yes, the game did get a lot easier.

But it doesn't have to be that way, and still keep the cool things about it. What you want to capture is that first month after Psi Training when your troops would have a much smaller chance of having any effect on the aliens. You would spend all Aps on 3 chances to panic a unit and it was hit and miss.

The aliens are either naturally proficient in such abilities or have been genetically modified to be so over generations, even if only to accept mental commands from the others.

On the other hand humans have clunked together 40 years of behavioural/biological research and combined it with some painful looking implants and brain washing.

Reverse engineering, like they have to do with everything else.

There should be no contest on who has the upper hand in any psionic combat.

Besides, Psi Amps were very cool.