Community Open Source Art Thread?

JDCollie

I was curious, is there any community repository of xenonauts art for use in modding? (Like, as in the authors have made the art available for public use?)

Well, clearly this either isn't something people are interested in, or I went about it the wrong way.

Whichever, I've removed the content, and I apologize if I ruffled any feathers. :(

Edited by JDCollie

1. If you post an image here, you are explicitly agreeing that you want to share it with the community. That means you are giving others the right to use, modify, and redistribute as they see fit, so long as they attribute the original work to you and don't sell the product.

2. If you want a more legal definition, my work here is published under the CC 4.0 Share Alike Non-commercial Attribution license. Publishing

And that is why you provide a picture that has a watermark, which most probably means that you yourself do not care about such rules from others?

And that is why you provide a picture that has a watermark, which most probably means that you yourself do not care about such rules from others?

Which one are you referring to? I wasn't aware of any watermarks (and I don't recall removing any either, since I'm not trying to steal from anyone here); as the PMG website states,

One last thing: feel free to use the weapons you design here as reference for your own projects such as animations' date=' 3D modeling, etc. But please be kind enough to credit me and post a link to this site.[/quote']

both of which I have done here. If I'm misinterpreting how PMG intended their art to be used, then of course I'll take this down immediately.

(I removed the M24 from the download; I don't know if that's what you were talking about, but I can't find the original image to provide proper credit. )

Edited by JDCollie

The sniper rifle in the 'Raw Images' section - it's rather visible around where the bipod is attached to the gun.

Huh, I honestly can't see it :( If you'd like to take a closer look yourself and make sure nothing sketchy is up, the source image is named "CUSTOMMKII.xcf" in the google drive download under the Source Stuff folder.

I hope I didn't make the wrong impression with The Rules section; my intent isn't to try and legitimize ripping off other artists -- it is to make sure that anyone who shares art here knows what they are getting into, and anyone who uses art from here knows the limitations of what they can do with it. :D

Huh, I honestly can't see it :( If you'd like to take a closer look yourself and make sure nothing sketchy is up, the source image is named "CUSTOMMKII.xcf" in the google drive download under the Source Stuff folder.

I hope I didn't make the wrong impression with The Rules section; my intent isn't to try and legitimize ripping off other artists -- it is to make sure that anyone who shares art here knows what they are getting into, and anyone who uses art from here knows the limitations of what they can do with it. :D

Turn your contrast up. If you couldn't see it, it's your problem.

qzFUVdM.png

Turn your contrast up.

qzFUVdM.png

Huh, good to know. Honestly, it doesn't change anything because, as the watermark clearly shows, I got the image from where I said I did and I've attributed the creators as they requested.

If you couldn't see it, it's your problem.

What's with the overall aggression? If this thread isn't something you guys want, I'll remove the content, but you don't all have to be so hostile about it.

Edit: Oh well, I thought the idea was worth a try at least. *shrug* I've edited the OP so there's nothing to fuss about.

Cheers.

Edited by JDCollie

Okay it's clear I got on the wrong foot. I deeply apologize for my aggressiveness, there were some RL issues that clouded my better judgement.

I very much support the idea of free art that any modder can use. The harder aspects of Xenonauts modding is the art, so the artistically-impaired having a resource they can use would be greatly appreciated.

Well, you did create a thread about a community art source that promotes the free art asset distribution of modders, but you posted some firearms from pimpmygun, a program that can be easily used by everyone to create their own art or using art assets from the net there so it's pretty pointless that you posted it here. Modders would prefer original art created by scratch from other texture artists if the art to make it requires the intended direction of the Xenonauts theme.

So yes, you might have got on the wrong foot by posting art assets from pimpmygun....... let me illustrate my opinions about it in a most neutral manner... :)