I can't climb a set of stairs?

EDIT: Sorry! Nevermind I thought that you wanted to stand on the stairs. That might be a bug yeah. I apologize for the incompetent and rushed answer!

EDIT2: Maybe you can instead go somewhere else on the second floor and hit space when the soldier is moving to stop at the right place?

This how the game works. There are no "true" stairs in this game. Think of them as teleporters which move your units from one level to another. If you actually manage to stand on them your unit is displayed as being inside of them. There are also no hills/uneven terrain because of this.

It is because of engine limitations or something (it can't be changed easily).

Edited by Tulx

It's possible there's something that you can't see that is blocking the top of the stairs; I had a similar issue when a civilian ran up the stairs and then I could not path to the upper floor.

On the other hand, if there is a civilian up there then there's no aliens, so you probably don't need to scout it.

It's possible there's something that you can't see that is blocking the top of the stairs; I had a similar issue when a civilian ran up the stairs and then I could not path to the upper floor.

On the other hand, if there is a civilian up there then there's no aliens, so you probably don't need to scout it.

Thanks, turns out that's what it was when I went back again. A few turns later an NPC came running downstairs.