[V7.5 - Ground Combat] Ground Combat cannot load / save

Okay, so the initial problem that I had upon downloading the game from Steam was that any time I attempted to engage in a ground combat, the game would go to the loading screen and the load bar would stop at around 10%. After that the mission would never finish loading. I tried this repeatedly, always the same. I tried a fresh install, no good. This is an issue I've found several other people had as well.

So what I eventually did that somehow fixed this was I downloaded the Legacy version of Xenonauts, ran the game in Legacy, then quit, then restarted the game in v1.06. After that ground combat was able to finish loading, HOWEVER every time that ground combat is initiated the game minimizes and issues an error "Cannot save preconditions". This occurs every time ground combat is initiated. At first I wasn't sure what that error was about, but it seems to have something to do with the autosaves the game makes when starting a ground mission. Those autosaves cannot be loaded, and if I attempt to load one I get a black screen with the music looping and Task Manager identifies Xenonauts as "not responding" at this time. The "Cannot save preconditions" error pops up when loading these autosaves as well.

I'm on a Windows 7 PC with an Intel i5 processor, 16GB of RAM and an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 for the graphics card.

Edited by DarkExcalibur42

OK, sorry, to clarify exactly what is going on:

1) Originally when you downloaded the game and started a new game, you were not able to ever load up the ground combat even if you started a new game?

2) You went onto the legacy branch and started a game in that, then quit. Now in V1.06 the ground combat will load up - but then immediately minimises and crashes? This happens even if you start a brand new game?

OK, sorry, to clarify exactly what is going on:

1) Originally when you downloaded the game and started a new game, you were not able to ever load up the ground combat even if you started a new game?

Correct. When entering ground combat, I would get to about 10% of the loading bar and then it would never finish loading.

2) You went onto the legacy branch and started a game in that, then quit. Now in V1.06 the ground combat will load up - but then immediately minimises and crashes? This happens even if you start a brand new game?

Yep, I downloaded Legacy through Steam then started up the game, quit, switched to v1.06, and started a new game (the new game is v1.06, I am not accessing a Legacy save in v1.06).

But it doesn't crash, it minimizes to display a window labelled "Error" that says "Cannot save preconditions". This occurs every time ground combat is initiated. Once I click "Okay" on the error window I am able to Alt+Tab back into the game and play. This also happens when ground combat saves are loaded, but in the case of loading saves it DOES crash (Alt+Tabing back in reveals a black screen with looping music and Task Manager reports "Not Responding"). Repeated testing has shown that ground combat saves crash practically always when loaded this way (God knows why it worked the ONE time), however autosaves and regular saves made on the Geo map work just fine and can be loaded without issue.

P.S. I should specify that downloading Legacy was my idea to somehow fix v1.06 so it would work on my P.C. (my plan worked, though I don't know why).

Edited by DarkExcalibur42

Also, if there's anything more I can do to help with this bug report lemme know. I am a bit unemployed, so I have the time. So far this is the only repeatable bug I've experienced in the whole game! The only other bug being a very rare issue where the Geoscape doesn't load properly and I have to restart the game.

I really love the art style as a whole and the direction your team took in designing the strategic level UIs. Nobody makes games like this any more, so I love that you guys did. Despite my difficulties I've already sunk 90 hours into this game (I've only had it for a few days) because the quality of game-play is way up there!

For anyone else with this problem, you should try the extremely obvious solution that I somehow overlooked:

Go into your Xenonauts directory and mark the executable as "Run as Administrator".

Guh! I cannot believe I didn't try that myself before reporting this. Thank you Chris! You rock, sir!