Smoke grenades and aliens

Duke

if player use a lot of smoke grenade(5-8 in backpaks on each unit) his soldiers becomes invisible(aliens do only reaction fire)(3 or more stacks of smoke on same place in line of sight range) for aliens and they want shoot, aliens just run away some times or stay at same position

several thoughts about it:

0) what you think about shooting on a sound(or last known position), that counter units hiding in smoke. especially for heavy plasma, what a surprise for soldiers hiding in smoke. ofc accuracy penalty from smoke take effect when alien try to shoot but he can hit ground near the soldier and deal them damage

1) aliens throw grenade in soldiers who hide in smoke, on a sound(or last known position). developers say granade throws will be added whith AI upgrade at 19 stable

2) alien run away from the smoke(alien is closer than 7 cells to smoke) and take cover if it cant shoot or throw grenade

3) close combat, but alien do this very rarely (and remove accuracy penalty when units stay face to face)

4) limitation for smoke grenade on every soldier or make granade belt\slots for all granades

5) soldiers\aliens lose sight range when smoke block line of sight, 1 stack block 30% sight range after that stack, 2 stacks block 70% sight range, 3 stacks block 100% sight range (% might be change for 1 and 2 stacks)

7) andron race, psionic units and all drones do not affected by smoke penalty (sight range, accuracy penalty)

8) tanks do not got buff and debuff(accuracy penalty does not work not for aliens in this case, not for tanks) from smoke

9) aliens and xenonauts soldiers should disappeared from the player screen\AI if nobody saw them at that moment, but if developers made sound decect(or last known position) this will be one way to know stay some one there or not, also make game more balance

10) last known position should have a 50-70% extra accuracy penalty

and at end sry my english =)

Many of those feature are AI related. And AI is still on full development.

I also would like to see aliens running for cover as we humans do since it make sense.

Sometimes come all blazing toghether as they are mind controled trying to overrun us.

I would like them to flank us, run and regroup, use better tactical positions...

But all that is AI driven, and AI is in full work in progress, so i guess with a bit of a pacience we will have a better AI.

Excessive smoke grenade use seems like one of those things you could exploit to fool the AI.

There was a good thread about smoke grenades a few months ago. I thought that one of the better suggestions was to make smoke reduce reaction fire tendency while minimally impacting vision or accuracy. Thus, smoke could only be used as temporary concealment for running across open spaces, instead of being used as a cloak of invulnerability like in the original XCOM games. In addition, if the smoke cloud took a couple of turns to fully develop, it would be trickier to use and probably less exploitable.

Smoke usuallu are used to screen a place so shooters won t shoot.

If the aliens can see trought it and shoot its quite useless.

But i agree it can be exploitable.

There s other way to do it. Increase grenade weight make alien fall back or reduce their reaction time so they act faster when you get trough it and shoot more andmore acurrately (expecting you to come trought), they could shot randomly trought smoke too.

All is Ai related.