Should the filed of vision be more than 90 degrees?

Hiawata

Just a thought - would it make sense to make the visual field of Xenonauts units wider? 90 degrees seems a bit too narrow.

As far as I know, humans have about 120 degrees field of vision. Plus, soldiers would look a bit to the left or right, so even more than 180 would make sense.

Of course, it's not primarily about realism but about gameplay, so I understand if something has been balanced around 90 degrees. But, it does seem like perhaps the idea wasn't that a Xenonaut shouldn't see, say, the tile directly right or left of him/her or that you need two units to keep an eye on a stretch of open ground.

It's not bothering me that much. From the start I adapted my tactics to it, but it was just a thought because in some situations it did feel a bit weird having to have several units covering something that intuitively a single unit should be able to cover.

I'd be reluctant to change anything without testing to see if it breaks the balance. I'm still not so far into the game, but I understand that some armors reduce the field of vision, and clearly not all aliens have the same field of vision as the Xenonauts, so I can only suspect that just increasing the Xenonaut basic field of vision would upset things. It was more of a thought about whether some future edition of CE might want to look at this?

It's not bothering me that much. From the start I adapted my tactics to it, but it was just a thought because in some situations it did feel a bit weird having to have several units covering something that intuitively a single unit should be able to cover.

I'd be reluctant to change anything without testing to see if it breaks the balance. I'm still not so far into the game, but I understand that some armors reduce the field of vision, and clearly not all aliens have the same field of vision as the Xenonauts, so I can only suspect that just increasing the Xenonaut basic field of vision would upset things. It was more of a thought about whether some future edition of CE might want to look at this?

Go to the "config.xml" file and set "LOSAngle" to something like "110" and the Aliens' Cone of Sight should change accordingly.

To change the Cone of Sight for Xenonaut Armours you can go into the "Armours_gc.xml"

"aiprops" controls the range at which aliens can see things.

Source(s):

Experience in modding/playing around with various things.

I had somr thought, is it possible within the game to add a second "periphery" vision cone, in which you can only see a MOVING entity (to trigger reaction fire), which seems a reasonable comprimise.

Though i dont know how flexible the game engine is for things like these

It's require a community coder to add that feature in and it'd probably take a lot of work to make functional.

Sorry. :(

I like the above idea. I can see how it would still allow, say, an enemy to be in a corner in a building and if I'm not careful enough to look around when I walk in, then I'll get killed. But, it would also eliminate quite a few weird situations when it just feels strange that the player (or the aliens, for that matter), don't see something that it clearly makes sense to see. Too bad we won't be seeing that feature, though. :(

LOS handling in the game is already complex as it is. Consider the 90 degree thing a feature, or reconfigure it locally to be more. As for looking a bit to the left and right, that's exactly what right clicking does.

I'll consider adding tiles directly to the sides of a soldier to the LOS, that might be worth the effort.

Being able to see the tiles to the left and right of a soldier would make sense.

I know I can look left and right with a right click. I was thinking more about a situation, for example, in which I have a soldier crouched behind a low wall, overlooking a stretch of clear ground, and I want to keep him there to guard that direction. As it is now, I usually actually need two soldiers, because one won't be able to see the whole stretch of ground. When it's my turn, I can, of course, look around, but one of the ideas was to have reaction shots during the aliens' turn. But, in another situation - say, when I'm entering a building, it would be great to keep it so the alien can hide in a corner, and if I don't look around, I might get shot.

The idea of having "peripheral vision", which would detect movement, but not stationary people/aliens, seemed like a good option to achieve both. Another would be some sort of an "overwatch" funciton - say, if a soldier doesn't move at all, he gets a wider field of vision during the aliens' turn, to simulate the soldier keeping watch.

But, in any case, after playing a bit more, I realized that really a lot would change if the field of vision were wider. Perhaps not as much as if the LoS were longer, but still a lot. For example, say I want to keep watch over a certain bit of the map in case an alien comes from there, while the rest of the team search a building. As it is now, I might need two soldiers to keep watch. With a wider field of vision, I would need one. The extra soldier would potentially make a huge difference when employed in the searching of the building. So, that would potentially necessitate rebalancing. And that's probably just one example of what would need to change.

Still, I might experiment with wider fields of vision at some point.

• 2 weeks later...